Molly fry question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok we'll my molly is due soon and I was wondering how to keep my fry from being sucked up into the filter. I don't want them to die so any advice would really help.

Thanks.

You cover the filter with the end of some tights and put an elastic band around it to secure it.

Have you got them in a separate net/tank the adults will eat the fry

Well the fry are not born yet but I have move the mother into the isolation tank the only thing in there besides her is 3 ghost shrimp. I have the feeling that she will give birth soon because she is hiding most of the day not eating a lot and is fat/squared off. It basically looks like she has swallowed a brick.

Feed them ideally three times a day it may be a while till they have there first feed. Mine never realise food is there until a coupe of days. People used crushed up adult flakes which is fine but fry flakes tend to be a lot better.

Keep a very close eye on the mother because she will eat all her babies if not took out of the fry's home.

You will probably lose a big amount of fry.
Last time I bred them I got 35, now I only have
around 15 left in fact I lost one tonight.

They will on average have around 30-40 fry. But WARNING they can have up to 100!

If you see some fry the mother may not be finished giving birth, she can drop fry a little bit at a time over the period of a week.

When mine give birth, I leave the mother in her original tank as it might stress her a bit more. Then when I see babies I put them in a breeder net. After about a week when they have got used to there surrounding, gradually I start to move them to the proper fry tank.

Growing to full size depends on the size they have to grow in. If they have a spacious breeder tank it can take about four months. However in a smaller breeder it can take up to around a year I'm not quite sure.

If there is room Moss Balls are perfect plants for fry do its ideal that they have some. My Molly fry seem to love it, they constantly peck at it!

Hope I helped, If there is any more questions don't be afraid to ask!

Thanks!!!!! That really helped and one thing on the moss ball I have a large one but I was wondering what good it would do for the fry. Besides put in oxygen. And how long dose it take fry to be able to breed.

I tried to research that coz I thought that myself. I didn't find anything where the shrimp had ever harmed babies. There was another forum that asked this on a different site and the shrimp and fry ended up living fine together. I just have one last look...

Oh NOOOO I have no other place to keep em my10 gallon has some fish with mouths bigger than the shrimp so they'd be eaten.

This is really bad. If this were me I would be panicking like mad! No other places? Not even breeders?
This is just a suggestion... You could get another nano tank to put the shrimp or use it as a dry tank?

Back
Top Bottom