Molly/guppy crossbreeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgaaan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can this be done successfully? I was curious on the topic, I have a tank with guppies and Molly's and I was wondering if it was possible. Could anyone give me some tips on it, and how I could possibly crossbreed the two...

i know its possible ive seen hybrids before people call them muppies. not sure how to induce it, I'm pretty sure most times its on accident because breeding hybrids intentionally is certainly not good for this hobby.

Ok here is my opinion on hybrids. Is it right or wrong idk you decide. But don't do it because you want to play god and don't to it with intention to sell the offspring. It's not like endlers and guppies. They are more closely related then guppies and mollys. Endler and guppies works and people still frown on it. Anyway yes the guppy molly cross can happen. Lots of people have done it or tried to but only 1 or 2 fry survive and there quality of life is greatly reduced. And no one has yet to produce a fry that is fertile. And also most of them look deformed or just plane wrong. But anyway it can happen but if there is the other sex of the same species in the same tank then it probably won't happen. But I'm no expert so you can do what you want. Just know most people don't like the idea.

Okay! Okay! I was purely asking this out of curiosity to see if it could happen on it's own. I don't have intentions of selling any hybrids. I just thought the idea of a hybrid would be neat.

I think the reason it's frowned on is because if the possibility of it happening in guppy/molly is because the successes rate is so low and offspring are just not right. But in the endler/guppy can work and does work as do other livebearers of same species, but pure endlers are a fading thing and people want to preserve them. If a fish crosses just once no matter how many time you breed it back to same species it will never be a pure breed so to speak. The cross will always be in it.

And yes I'll give you that some crosses are kinda amazing looking.

Back
Top Bottom