Molly/Guppy Hybrids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ze_Ubermuffin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read somewhere that it was possible to hybridize mollies and guppies, and am curious about what you think would be the best way to do so. Anything from which male or female species to salinity would be neat to know!

Don't recommend it. That's how some fish can be born with deformities. They call them muppies

I'm sure if you just put them together they will breed. Wouldn't know by experience. Just a guess.

My male guppies always tried to mate with my male and female mollies. My male mollies only went for female mollies.

All you have to do is put the fish together. If you're serious then just set up a pair using a male guppy and female molly. Be sure to either use the fry for feeders or make sure they never leave the tank. Hybreds are not a good thing in most cases.

I always use male guppy to female Molly. Let's just say that male mollies are big lads that do some serious damage to female guppies. I read about this subject many years ago and was generally surprised that so many people hate it so passionately. I personally see it as no different to parrot cichlids that frequent almost every LFS I visit. You can get some very interesting colour and body morphs from the fry. I've been hybridising for a couple of years without any deformities (I get an epic amount of straight Molly deformities though) but the offspring are never fertile. I've heard rumours of fertile hybrids but mine never have been. Who knows, we may one day have a new viable hybrid species. The super immune sailfin muppy!!

Only breed male guppies to female mollies. If you breed a male molly to a female guppy, the size of the fry will kill her. I have seen some very interesting muppies. I think they are cute. I understand that people want to keep things pure but many animals are crossed to get today's pets. As long as you are honest that the fish were a mix and do not try to sell or give them away as pure breed I see no problem with it. If they can breed than they are closely related anyway. I only have a problem when genetic manipulations get involved. Nature purposely limits itself and it scares me what can of worms scientist are opening.

Only breed male guppies to female mollies. If you breed a male molly to a female guppy, the size of the fry will kill her. I have seen some very interesting muppies. I think they are cute. I understand that people want to keep things pure but many animals are crossed to get today's pets. As long as you are honest that the fish were a mix and do not try to sell or give them away as pure breed I see no problem with it. If they can breed than they are closely related anyway. I only have a problem when genetic manipulations get involved. Nature purposely limits itself and it scares me what can of worms scientist are opening.

+1 dude

Back
Top Bottom