Molly pregnant? Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amotar5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I have had this balloon belly Molly for about a month now and was told she was pregnant upon buying her. I have been watching her for about three weeks and nothing yet but she seems to keep growing. I recently bought a breeding box and placed her in it at the top of the tank. (20 gal fresh water) still no babies! I don't want to keep her in there if there is no reason to. Can someone let me know what I should be looking for? I attached a photo of her, does she look pregnant? I have no experience with raising babies so any advice or information would be much appreciated!

image-4274558916.jpg

Is she acting healthy? Active? Eating? I think pregnant fish get a gravid spot on their underside when they are close. They also get squared off looking. But I'm not experienced with live bearers, sorry. The white spot might be a little fungus or a booboo. If it gets bigger you may need to medicate. But with clean water, hopefully it will just go away. Good luck!

I bought mollies when I first started the hobby month out a half a year ago. They breed like crazy. I usually let Darwinism play its course so I don't get too many. If you do want to try to keep as many as possible, here are the things I look for when I think my fish is about to give birth.

The pregnant Molly will start to "square off" looking like a rectangle. You can see an image here: http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/Oldman1947/Mollies/Mom38_1024.jpg

Second, I look for the gravid spot. Near the anal fin, the skin will look black and will get larger the closer to birth. You can see an example here (same fish as before, different photo/angle): http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/Oldman1947/Mollies/Mom41_1024.jpg

Third, the birth canal (white tube) will start to show the day before, mind you it is relatively small.

Fourth, the day prior the female will be swimming back in forth, or up and down, in the same line. I also notice the males pester her more. In my tank, the other species of fish gather too because they know food is coming.

Finally, the female will isolate herself in a corner, under rock, in a cave, behind some plants, etc. to avoid the attention from the other fish.

Like I said I let nature run its course, but for you, try not to put her in the breeder box too early. Not because its mean, but because she can get stressed out, have a miscarriage, or die.

You can reintroduce the fry to the tank as soon as they are too big to fit in any fish's mouth or get sucked in to the filter.

If you miss putting her in the box in time, try to catch the fry so they don't get eaten. Most stay on the bottom for a while, but some head to the surface. Make sure there are enough hiding spots in case you do miss it. Also, if she gives birth in the tank, check to filter to see if any got sucked up. There are some food birth videos on YouTube just for enjoyment to watch the miracle that is nature.

Hope this helps!

After looking at your photo it doesn't appear she is squared off fully.

I do notice the small beginning of a gravid spot though. That is a good sign that things are progressing nicely.

As for the white spot, I'm not sure; not well versed in diseases. Could be ich? Just watch it as Hholly said and it may just be a scratch or something. If it gets worse hit up the unhealthy fish forum. Hopefully they can help better.

Thank you everyone! The advice is very helpful. She is doing well so far, she is looking squarer to me and the males keep trying to get into the box with her. Hoping to see babies soon!
image-3483897612.jpg

She is looking good good luck with the babies its the best bit oh and welcome to AA

does she have a mate ? If yes be patient my guppies take forever to give birth

She does but it has been awhile and still nothing. Ill attach an updated picture of her.

image-662378721.jpg

Back
Top Bottom