Molly prego?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering what is the best way to tell if a swordtail Molly is pregnant. Or if it works for all mollies, that'd be good. I have a picture of my female swordtail and was wondering if anyone here thought she was pregnant. Also how could I date the pregnancy or get an expected date?

Attachments

• image-57676101.jpg
    image-57676101.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 67
  • image-118582261.jpg
    image-118582261.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 68
I can get a better picture tomorrow morning if it is needed. But I have to take a bunch of pictures tomorrow so it will probably come up...

Barely know much about Mollys but she looks preggers that or bloated. Pretty sure Mollys get gravid spot like most livebearers. She is big though.

definitely not a molly.
As jetajockey said, a swordtail!
She also does definitely look pregnant, close to birth in fact. :)

When would be a good time to put her into a trap? I don't want her having the babies for everyone... Is there a tube that will stick out or anything? I do t want to miss the birth.

My births have been during the night while everyone is quiet and sleeping. I think the girls know to do it while the rest of the fish are resting ;)

You can't really "know" when it's going to happen but the square shape of her belly tells you she's close. Do you have another tank for her to birth in? That's certainly more ideal than putting her in a breeder box/net. Otherwise you can heavily plant the tank so it provides lots of hiding spots for the fry.

We have a 10 gallon tank that has a krib fry in it right now...

Just one fry? Then you're better off putting the one fry in the breeder box and the mother swordtail in the tank.

Yeah she is gona pop soon. Depending on how good your eyes are you will be able to kinda make out the babbies in her belly alittle before she has them. I've never had a nusery tank I just got a plastic weed matt thing and made sure there were enuff places for the babbies to hide. Kinda survival of the fittest I guess. Normally 4 or 5 would make it. And just a fyi my moms only had 3 or 4 litters then they would end up dieing. Mixing the colors is fun too. I had some platies that came out orange with little mexican staches and some that looked like negatives of there mom.

cheeky_monkey said:
Just one fry? Then you're better off putting the one fry in the breeder box and the mother swordtail in the tank.
There's 17 I said a fry because I thought it was like sheep when you say a flock. I thought it meant more then one...

I got 20/15 vision so I should be able to see them then. Does anyone know what the gestation period of a swordtail is?

Alright sweet. I'm guessing the next couple of days or so?

We have had babies grow up on their own before in that tank with all the rocks. Lots if places in there where they can have some refuge. But I'd tether get them all before. Hopefully she doesn't pass during birth...

Back
Top Bottom