More baby Platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatalieFinniss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Evening all

I gave the tank a good clean last night and a 30% water change, trying to get my pH levels down as they are pretty high and low and behold I found I have 3 more babies than I originally knew about. They look like they're from different fish as the 2 larger ones that are orange (I knew I had one orange baby) are bigger than the two tiny black ones that were actually sitting in the sponge of the filter. Don't know who and when these little ones popped out from. None of my fish are black, so don't know if they'll change colour as they grow. It's all a bit of a learning curve as I'm pretty new to fish keeping, but they all seem to be happy despite the high pH levels.

If some of your platies have black patterning like spots, then the black one could just have more dominant genes when it comes to that pattern.

Those platies will overrun that tank fast [emoji23] I have a tank with them and haven't had to buy new fish for years even though almost all the originals are gone

I think this is going to be the case. I was careful to only buy females but of course we know that that doesn't stop them breeding!!

A male always sneaks in there somewhere [emoji23]

I saw you mention that you were worried about your PH levels. Don't be. Just keep them consistent and 95% of fish will be happy. Platties especially. They're hardy little guys! More often than not, jacking with your PH will result in way more problems that just keeping it stable with regular water changes. (y)

Evening all

I gave the tank a good clean last night and a 30% water change, trying to get my pH levels down as they are pretty high and low and behold I found I have 3 more babies than I originally knew about.

Welcome to the club! I added five sunset fire platys to my 20-long a few months ago and one day noticed a fry dashing out for food. Then, as time passed, there was another and another another... I was being overrun by platys. :drinking:

My poor neons were getting stressed and hiding in the plants a lot: the platys were too active for them.

Anyway, I think weekend took five to the LFS (including the two males, I think and hope) and I've had a 10g set up for about a month now to grow out seven juveniles for their eventual trip to the store.They're a fun bunch: very active, very fast, and *always* hungry. :)

One good thing out of this: I've learned how to properly bag fish for transport. :rolleyes:

I saw you mention that you were worried about your PH levels. Don't be. Just keep them consistent and 95% of fish will be happy. Platties especially. They're hardy little guys! More often than not, jacking with your PH will result in way more problems that just keeping it stable with regular water changes. (y)

I must admit they do seem very healthy and don't appear to be suffering in any way, but they said, I am a worrier and will worry about anything given the chance, so probably am worrying unnecessarily.

Welcome to the club! I added five sunset fire platys to my 20-long a few months ago and one day noticed a fry dashing out for food. Then, as time passed, there was another and another another... I was being overrun by platys. :drinking:

My poor neons were getting stressed and hiding in the plants a lot: the platys were too active for them.

Anyway, I think weekend took five to the LFS (including the two males, I think and hope) and I've had a 10g set up for about a month now to grow out seven juveniles for their eventual trip to the store.They're a fun bunch: very active, very fast, and *always* hungry. :)

One good thing out of this: I've learned how to properly bag fish for transport. :rolleyes:

That's something that does concern me as I've only got a little 30 litre tank and here in the UK the shops don't take them back. I only have Platys in my tank (5 adults and I think 4 babies but there could be more that I don't know about) and the tank could quite easily become overrun. I am thinking that maybe they were not a good choice but now I have them I am very fond of them and have a panic if I can't see one when I do the daily head count!

That's something that does concern me as I've only got a little 30 litre tank and here in the UK the shops don't take them back. I only have Platys in my tank (5 adults and I think 4 babies but there could be more that I don't know about) and the tank could quite easily become overrun. I am thinking that maybe they were not a good choice but now I have them I am very fond of them and have a panic if I can't see one when I do the daily head count!

You could always take away a good amount of the decor if you are heavily decorated. The fry would get eaten up quick

That's something that does concern me as I've only got a little 30 litre tank and here in the UK the shops don't take them back.

Really? Most LFSs here in the US are happy to get healthy fish from customers, especially ones that have been raised in a good environment at home.

I only have Platys in my tank (5 adults and I think 4 babies but there could be more that I don't know about) and the tank could quite easily become overrun. I am thinking that maybe they were not a good choice but now I have them I am very fond of them and have a panic if I can't see one when I do the daily head count!

Platys are a lot of fun and, I think, underrated by those who want to keep only the more "exotic" fish. Anyway, maybe there are local fishkeepers in your area who would take them -- you could check Craigslist Kent for example, or a local aquarium society.

:fish1:

Really? Most LFSs here in the US are happy to get healthy fish from customers, especially ones that have been raised in a good environment at home.

Platys are a lot of fun and, I think, underrated by those who want to keep only the more "exotic" fish. Anyway, maybe there are local fishkeepers in your area who would take them -- you could check Craigslist Kent for example, or a local aquarium society.

:fish1:

I do think they are beautiful and I love watching them. If I get too many i'll check Craigslist Kent out. Thank you for that

You could always take away a good amount of the decor if you are heavily decorated. The fry would get eaten up quick

They are hiding down in the media stuff that at the bottom of the tank. I've a biorb and the stuff at the bottom of the tank is quite rocky so has plenty of little nooks and crannies that make a perfect safe haven for them.

They are hiding down in the media stuff that at the bottom of the tank. I've a biorb and the stuff at the bottom of the tank is quite rocky so has plenty of little nooks and crannies that make a perfect safe haven for them.

As long as your fish are healthy then i dont see any problem with it

Back
Top Bottom