Most fun to breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey188

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I find myself with a couple of empty tanks to fill and I was wondering what everyone's favourite fish is to breed. I'm currently breeding black bar endlers, very successfully.

I find myself with a couple of empty tanks to fill and I was wondering what everyone's favourite fish is to breed. I'm currently breeding black bar endlers, very successfully.
Do you mean "Fun" as in: fun to watch them breeding or "Fun" as in: I don't have to do much of anything and look, I have fish fry? ;)

I mean fun as in fun to watch breed and grow without being a constant struggle

I absolutely love when bettas spawn, they're definitely the most beautiful at that time and truly seem in harmony. Their fry can be a bit of a pain to raise, but seeing their finnage and beautiful colors come in makes it all worth it :)

I mean fun as in fun to watch breed and grow without being a constant struggle
Having bred a wide variety of fish myself, I'm not sure you can have both. It's usually one or the other. I think Angels spawning is quite an artistic and sometimes ballet looking expression. With the right food, the fry are not that hard to grow but the work involved can be much at times. And, I totally agree with Drago, you can't beat the dance of Anabantids spawning but fry rearing is not easy. But some of my biggest surprises have come with the Guppies. You just never know what you are going to get when you let a pair breed. That makes it fun as well. ;) (y)

I'm getting ready to breed mollies. They're a bit finicky about water condition, but so worth it. Currently I have a trio of Dalmatian lyretails and a trio of golden panda lyretails.

If you want a fun and exciting aquarium with lots of breeding and activity (depending on size of aquarium you have) mbuna cichlids are awesome. Full of personality, weird breeding behaviors. I guess you could call them a "struggle" to keep but when it comes to keeping fish I just call it the hobby.
Also gbrs (German blue rams) can be fun to breed , smaller tank requirements, but finicky little buggers if you get wild caught.

Back
Top Bottom