Moving new fry to nursery question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommy put

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My guppy had 15 fry yesterday, and I was able to get them I to a little floating separation bid thing. I set up a nursery tank quickly last night with about 1/3 of the water from main tank and the rest is new water. This is my first time doing this with the live bearers so I am unsure of how long I should wait for nursery to cycle before I move them?? They seem to be growing so quickly already and unbeaten food is on the bottom of the little box I am worried they will get sick in there!! I love my new little fry❤?

Ok so the water is from an already cycled tank and since you shouldn't run a fry tank with a filter cuz it will suck them up i would think you can put the in now if you have an air stone if u don't have an air stone and you have to run filter elastic so sponge around it this will help keep them away from the strong pull and hopefully if they are pulled in they will be able to escape make sure there is no area where they can get sucked up lol other than that if the filter is sucking up cycled water the media will take on the good bacteria just watch the tank parameters

Ok, I actually did just move them because my angel Kept pushing in the floating tank (wants to eat!) and wound up moving one fry above water line and it was stuck and all suctioned against it out if the water, I got it down in time. I read in some places to run a filter but put a " per filter sponge" on the intake tube, I got one and it seems to be working, they look pretty relaxed in there. Glad to hear that was enough water from the main tank though, thanks! I'm going to try to attach a picture of them, but they are tiny and move a lot!

Attachments

• image-3245234871.jpg
    image-3245234871.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 110
Congrats i have never bred guppies but the past weeks have been reading like crazy lol so i have heard a lot of good things anout the sponge over intake good luck make sure u dont over feed and do water changes every few days about 5-10% once again good luck btw they look great

This is momma, I'm not really sure that my male is the dad as I just got them both about a week and half ago, but now I have a great idea of what they really look like pregnant, I started to think she wasn't, but then I missed the birth and couldn't find her at first after because she looks so different! Do you have any idea how I should change the water? I only have a ginormous gravel cleaner for my 55 gallon tank, I will suck them up for sure with that!

Attachments

• image-4269449598.jpg
    image-4269449598.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 96
This is momma, I'm not really sure that my male is the dad as I just got them both about a week and half ago, but now I have a great idea of what they really look like pregnant, I started to think she wasn't, but then I missed the birth and couldn't find her at first after because she looks so different! Do you have any idea how I should change the water? I only have a ginormous gravel cleaner for my 55 gallon tank, I will suck them up for sure with that!

Got a smaller bucket? Gravel or sand substrate? Otherwise stir it up with hand and be careful and use syphon..or stir it up a bit and try to get as much dirty water in your bucket as you can. Or just do a bucket if you're worried about damaging the fry.

Ok so the water is from an already cycled tank and since you shouldn't run a fry tank with a filter cuz it will suck them up i would think you can put the in now
You do need a filter, of some sort. You can't cycle a tank from water from a cycle tank. Very little, if any BB survives in water. It grows on surfaces, gravel, glass, media etc. The best thing you can do is use some media(rings or sponge) from a cycled filter. Place in 'new' filter and it'll transfer BB. This is what I would do in your case, if you can't use media from an established tank. Use the trap you have and put it back in the 55. Use algae magnets to secure the trap to the glass. You can then cycle the fry tank without worrying about them dying.
For the filter, use some cheap new pantyhose over the intake. Secure with a rubber band.....

Attachments

• DSCF7423~1.jpg
    DSCF7423~1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF7440~1.jpg
    DSCF7440~1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF7442~1.jpg
    DSCF7442~1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF7444~1.jpg
    DSCF7444~1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 73
Thank you both so much for your suggestions. So I wound up moving the fry to the new tank quickly because my angelfish was bashing into the separator tank and one actually got stuck up on the edge out f the water, they are doing well, I did partial water change yesterday, didn't use suction though for same concern if sucking them up. So I am a novice, what does "BB" mean? I have a larger 10 gallon that I am thinking if moving them into for next step, I can move current filter with them into that tank, so should that be good?
Also, I have a Molly that I got at same time, store said she was pregnant, but I think maybe I missed the birth because last Tuesday when guppies were born a male Molly was mating with her, ( I assume that's what it was, couldn't have been anything else!), but then 2 days layer they were doing it again, and now she us hiding in a corner and another male went poking around and looked lie he ate something from her in that area! So based on the pics, do you think she s maybe going birth me? Or even pregnant? She s huge, but not squared off I don't think, she is a big girl in general.
Here are new pics of growing fry,too!
Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3637640362.jpg
    image-3637640362.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image-3025655935.jpg
    image-3025655935.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3622539272.jpg
    image-3622539272.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 70
Yeah you could move the filter to the new tank. Just make sure to not let it dry out. Livebearers spend most of their lives pregnant. They only need to see a male and they're pregnant!!!. That Molly does look pregnant, how long is hard to tell. She looks pretty big but still rounded. Get a little fish diary or create a log on your computer. They give birth every 28 days or so. Even if the male is no longer present, she can have more fry. They can store sperm for another 3-4 batches of fry.
BB is Beneficial Bacteria....

Back
Top Bottom