My angels have spawned!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey not sure if i asked you cant find the thread ...what do you keep your discus tank ph at and temp?

The angels I have are scalare. I think you are referring to altums, which get MUCH larger. They are similar in their color pattern though.

I keep my community discus tank around 82-84 degrees. When I have juvies that I'm growing out I keep them at 86. I don't mess with the pH, which is around 7.8-8.0 and the GH is 300ppm. They are doing excellent, just not breeding for me as I planned. That's okay though because I see them as more of a "pet" than my other fish. I like my angels and shrimp but I only keep them to make some money to pay for my "pets". My discus are very friendly and will eat out of my hand. That's pretty common. I also have several fish that allow me to "pet" their dorsal fin and a female that doesn't mind being held believe it or not LOL. I don't do it often, mainly only when I show people my tank. They are like "WOW, he just petted his fish!"

yep them the ones the altums. any angels in discus tank or never ?

Never kept angels with my discus so far. I'm confident they'll be fine together though.

im thinking of trying in my tank but wasnt sure if should move angels out

Attachments

• IMG_0818 (Small) (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0818 (Small) (Medium).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 49
Nice tank! I'd leave them in there as the kois go well with the plants and everything else.

yeah some say can mix some say they never would mix angels and discus im scared to try .expensive fish to get beat up

I got home from work around 1:00 this morning and I had several wigglers on the leaf. When I woke up this morning I had MANY more. I should have several hundred wigglers by noon! Out of the ~400 eggs I have less than 20 that weren't fertilized. That's about 95% fertilization. I contacted the breeder that I purchased them from and he said the parents of the ones I have had 90% fertilization rates in their spawns.

what will you feed them in a week when they need to start eating?

I'm not looking forward to it but most likely BBS. The breeder I got them from says that is the only think that's ever worked for him and he tried powdered food, egg yolk, frozen BBS and I think several cultures of smaller things but they would only eat live BBS. I don't want to lose this LARGE spawn so I'm not going to take any chances.

This is very interesting, I like how you are documenting everything. This will, no doubt, be a great resource for any Angel breeders. Keep us updated, and we love pictures. :)

yeah i bought a small pack frozen baby brine shrimp befor by mistake its really small stuff like little particles of dust

You want fine particles of food for the initial feedings. The trouble is that I don't think the angels were interested in it and moving food would intice the fish that much more. I'll try to post some pics but the quality will probably be bad. Most of the wigglers are in the bottom rounded portion of the jar. It will most likely be 5 days before I get any of free-swimmers.

yep.. i think live better wont foul little tank as fast.oh yeah and unrelated to this thread...theres a new discus thread guy needs your help befor it turns into a dead discus thread

Here's some pics. Sorry for the bad quality it was the best I could do given the positioning of the wigglers. These are Day 1 pics. There are about 1/3 of the total wigglers in the pic.

img_896009_0_7b46ec1066adc1d308bcf1070089ba9f.jpg

img_896009_1_4de121671a96f256a605d8edd81a7095.jpg

img_896009_2_9cae0f0572c88766e33f9eb2dcabc715.jpg

Very nice! This is so interesting to me, I've never really followed to progression of egg layers. Thanks for the pictures!

Day 2 pics!

Well, same position of the wigglers pretty much. The only difference is that all of the eggs that are going to hatch have and there's only a few on the leaf still. The rest are in two large groups on the bottom. They are a little bigger than yesterday but you can really only tell in person. A few more eggs weren't fertilized than I initially thought but still roughly 90% fertilization just as their parents had.

img_896025_0_37c182fc66b9b3a5c176c771dc9ded07.jpg

img_896025_1_2e8e0eef1e52c83d3f671434130e289e.jpg

img_896025_2_0dd178b413e04b1adea9a1b80980525f.jpg

img_896025_3_5c1b687aac8d86ab88ad341abe44c349.jpg

Lol, I could buy some angels from you since your angels spawned. :D

No need for BBS just yet. Nearly all wigglers died on Day 3 with no explanation as to why. I saw 3 wigglers today. I think they are about ready to go free-swimming. I'm gonna try to feed them powdered fry food. Certainly not going to waste time with BBS for 3 wigglers.

Back
Top Bottom