My apistos made babies!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you feed them minutes before they leave then throw a bit extra in and use a turkey baster to squeeze some into the moss

Little bopsters like food! Go figure... I've found one dead on the sponge intake so far.. Not bad I suppose..the brood in the display seems to be seeking refuge in plants, any time mom goes somewhere they follow.. A good tail sweep
And they're back into the plants.. The excitement never ends..

You will have a few die here and there but aloy of times its birtg defects from what I see. Whenever I breed mollies I lose 3-5 in personal care

I love raising fry. It's so fun watching them. I sadly can't leave any of mine with the parents, my GBRs are the second worst parents ever, after my angels. If I want to raise the fry, I have to steal the eggs and hatch them myself or they're caviar for the parents.

It's funny because hers are all swimming around all careless and free, the male is still keeping guard.. I think they are great parents!!

You will be suprised bro, there are some great fish parents! Thats what I like about some fish. Its still a good idea to move them once you notice the male not guarding anymore

I think I'll move the rest tom when I do a wc, it seems any disturbance and the guard is dropped, the only reason I left them in there this long is my gf is concerned for the emotional well being of mom.. I'll sprinkle some Prozac In after wc and she'll be happy happyy!

I just leave my emperor tetra fry in the community tank to grow up. I figure i get the strongest and smartest fry to carry on the genes just like in nature with natural selection an all that. I don't know how many die because i never see them actually spawn and i never see the wigglers. Every now and then i see some new 3/8inch fry come swimming out around the tank during feeding time. I consistently get 2-3 new fry every 6-7 weeks. Once they get to that stage they have no problem surviving, even in the tank with the bichirs.

Dad: "hey! what do you think your doing! I'm doing good on my own, thank you!" >fume, fume fume<:mad:
Mom: "my baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabies!!!!":bawl:

Dad: "hey! what do you think your doing! I'm doing good on my own, thank you!" >fume, fume fume<:mad: Mom: "my baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabies!!!!":bawl:
hahaha yup.. Pretty much is what I was getting from the colors.. I feel like if she could talk that is all she would say...

Hobgob, I've moved around 20 into a separate tank, there are still some in with the mother, I think I will leave them in as a sort if experiment. The fry tank has a sand bottom, thought itd be more comfortable for them, I also added a couple baby assassin snails to eat the leftover food which is hikari first bites, I really don't have the time or space for a hatchery, I will get some frozen bbs in a week or so.. I think I will just take water from another tank and do more wc's on that instead if age water in buckets.. Sound ok?

Time or space. All you need is a 2L pop bottle and that will be sufficient for your fry. Also if you take water from the other tank your just adding nitrates to your rearing tank.

I love raising fry. It's so fun watching them. I sadly can't leave any of mine with the parents, my GBRs are the second worst parents ever, after my angels. If I want to raise the fry, I have to steal the eggs and hatch them myself or they're caviar for the parents.

My Rama were the exact same way!

Time or space. All you need is a 2L pop bottle and that will be sufficient for your fry. Also if you take water from the other tank your just adding nitrates to your rearing tank.
how do you do a baby brine hatchery? My Lfs guy explained it to be a rather painstaking process.. I'm only using mature tank water to buffer ph new water.. The nitrates should not be all that high due to the extra water changes on supply tank..

As long as you have your trates taken care of and you can google brine shrimp hatchery. San frisico sells a hatchery and it's just a little black box and you put a light on top.
Take your two liter cut it in half. Put them inside each other, put and airpump into the bottom of it. Some canning or pickling salt and the light an eggs. Oh and water!!!
It takes up the same space as a 2l on a table.
But all you need is some air hose, pump, 2l, salt, and eggs. Some hatcheries don't even use the air pump like my bay hatchery. I forgot how much salt exactly but I believe it's one tblsp per quart. But at the same time. I put like ten eggs into a nestle water bottle that was beside my hatchery. Legit I just opened it put the eggs in and closed it. Well 7 hatched...

I have all the extra equipment sitting around, if it only takes up a little space than I guess I could put it right next to the grow out tank.. Thanks! I may just give this a try..

Back
Top Bottom