My apistos made babies!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So how did the experiment go with the fry groups as far as survival and growth? There has been tons of research done by myself and experts on the genus around the world and the fry get subtle hints from the mother in the form of fin flaring to signify hey follow me, hide and eat here. The fry raised by the parents also tend to be better parents themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So how did the experiment go with the fry groups as far as survival and growth? There has been tons of research done by myself and experts on the genus around the world and the fry get subtle hints from the mother in the form of fin flaring to signify hey follow me, hide and eat here. The fry raised by the parents also tend to be better parents themselves. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
survival was even, I lost half the group in each tank, fry tank I screwed up a water change and knocked a few out the rest just faded out.. 7 in there now, it seems as though only the strong survived the display tank, the mother does do all those things you mentioned! Very cool!! The remaining 5 are all bigger and better colored than the fry tank..

Not bad, in the future if you move the fry to another tank send the female with them this will give her some time to recover and lessen the chance of being sexed or harrassed to death by the male who will always be ready even if she isn't.

Ok, it makes sense in that she has been torturing the entire tank for the last 2 months.. The male will be ok if I borrow his wife for a bit?

Sounds good! I'll post a thread when it's time! Hey gillie, I just left them for a week, it seems the alpha dog in the big tank has doubled in size and is almost jet black! Interesting considering how they were only fed twice throughout the week??? I'm going to dig my good camera out and try for some pics, it's amazing the difference!

Yeah the strongest always grow the fastest, they were likely eating organisms off of any moss or plants you have in the tank. What are you feeding them? I would definitely count on that one being male.

That would make sense... I've seen them grazing the moss/algae growing all over the driftwood..I've been feeding the fry tank mostly bbs and bbs eggs, I've been feeding the big tank the norm.. Blood worms, bs, daph, omega one flake.. And the occasional bbs..

Last edited:
That would make sense... I've seen them grazing the moss/algae growing all over the driftwood..I've been feeding the fry tank mostly bbs and bbs eggs, I've been feeding the big tank the norm.. Blood worms, bs, daph, omega one flake.. And the occasional bbs..

I always use older bulbs over my breeding tanks to encourage algae growth they are normally just decorated with wood and java moss so there is always something to pick at between feedings.

Where were you when I started this thread haha! I'm going to cut a section of the dw off and put it in.. Next time I'm going to use my 10 gal that been running for months... More room for moma and babies...

Well I am currently working on a couple sticky worthy threads that are going to cover identification, breeding and one is going to debunk a lot of the garbage thrown around about keeping dwarves. Besides that my hiatus is over so I'll be here:cool:

Here's the comparison gillie! It's crazy.. I hadn't seen this guy yet.. About 1/2" to the fry tanks 1/4-5/16"

image-4254434191.jpg

image-345117204.jpg

So the larger fry were tended to by the mother correct? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
yes the two largest, there are also a couple in the mom tank that are the same size as fry tank..one if the big ones schools arounds with the rn tetras sometimes...funny stuff!! Hey gillie while I have your attention.. Can you give me a quick run down on panduro/pandurini's?? I'm going to dedicate a tank to them this weekend..

Back
Top Bottom