my attempt at breeding kribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well that ends the attempt at breeding kribs thanks everyone for your support.
i will continue to update this thread as a journal in raising the fry

today the fry are venturing farther away from there parents already they are also swimming all over the water colom

At what point do you remove the fry? If remove fairly soon after say 3 weeks old will the parents readily spawn again?

The parents will start spawning as soon as you remove the fry. Some people remove the fry right after they have absorb their sacs. This way its easier to control their feeding and water param. You can either net them or just suction water into another tank and suck them up. The fish will be fine the water current won't hurt them at all. This is why fish don't die when we flush them. But yes how are they doing?

well guys the news is mixed for some unknown reason the female decided to freak out and kill the male (not uncommon for thease guys) but i have another male for her in my 55g.
as for the fry they are doing very well i think there are actully about 80. ill post some pics when i get a chance

well as promised here are some fry pics :):):)
img_2138889_0_e26cd2f19e6ebdf2cdf7263891136748.jpg

img_2138889_1_6f59c252fd7f2010d4392639f42b2ed1.jpg

img_2138889_2_d8eb4e319753db5e3a78c34c06118a34.jpg

as for the new male i will continue to keep you guys up to date. i have seen the female exibit some prebreeding behavior so i think there will be more fry but im sure the male is a different subspecies of krib

as i was saying the new male (who is a good inch larger) must be a diffrent sub species of krib as i had him for a day in my 55g and then gave him some bloodworms and he got fired up and from his bottom jaw back to his stomach went a bright red. its very funny to watch because he can flick it on or off like a light switch

Not a different species just really enjoys the food you gave him and wants to make babies. But your female can still kill your male. She just wants to be the parent in the relationship so you should remove him after the fry have hatched. Are your neons trying to get the fry at all? We had a pair of kribs in the 110 have a fry and the neons were trying to get a little snack even though they can easily be a snack for a full grown krib. But some kribs get a lot of red in the stomach area were others not so much. But congrats on your progress!

im 99.9% sure after my research he is a nigerian red krib but they seem happy enough togeather so i'm leaving them to it

my new male and female have laid eggs!!! this time in the pve tube rather then on it like last time. i have also increased my filtration. on this 20 gal im now ronning a fluval 303. its a tad over the top but hey what can u do

Out of the multiple frys I have seen come from my breeding pairs they all seem to vary in how much red they have in the belly. It just shows when the fish is conditioned well IMO. At least this is what I have seen.

That's awesome! Kribs are great parents most of the time. And the fry are fun to watch grow! It's so cool watching their colors come in!

yeah hopefully they do better at it this time and we have no deaths, well now i just gota do something with the first batch of fry hehe my LFS said they would like some i wonder how they feel about 80

Well how big is the first fry? The lfs will probably want them around an inch in length, sometimes the lfs will have rearing tanks set up and still take them though. And good luck raising the fry! Remember water changes are a must! With all those baby fish they can create a lot of nitrate, also cleaner water means grows faster!

yep im well awair of the water changes lol we have a few hudred gallons of aquarium at my place. anyway heres a pic of my male;
img_2155596_0_cfd4e62c840c7aec1f48e242d2059ba5.jpg

sorry bout the image quality he wasnt gonna sit still for anyone, i still think hes not an average pelvachromis pulcha perhaps Pelvicachromis taeniatus what do u think hobgob ?

I don't know might be but my one male gets just as red as him but the male we kept from him to spawn with another female doesn't get as red as him, is there any other way to tell the difference between the two? When i looked up pictures I saw a bunch that looked different but that's google for you lol.

All I know is nice krib! I wish I could post pictures on here... I have exceeded my quota... I have a picture of the old male in my 30g...

Back
Top Bottom