Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
My Babies Are Having Babies!

I just moved 4 very largely pregnant and square female Juvie's to my fry tank to birth....

** Dalmatian --15 wks old
** Creamsicle-- 15 wks old
** Creamsicle Lyretail-- 10 wks old
** Creamsicle Sailfin Lyretail-- 10 wks old

I was SOOO excited to see a sailin juvie.... But even better a Lyretail Sailfin!

Will post pics soon

__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Preston county, WV
Posts: 165
i had this problem before...
i had two mollies that happened to be male that were about 3months old (this was before i really wanted to breed, and just watched what happened) and they were "going after" my largest female.
those little suckers mature quickly!...
__________________
29g breeding tank, 10g small fry tank
We only die because we accept death as an inevidabiliy. I'll live forever, no matter if it's physically or just as a memory. I refuse to be forgotten.
- Something i wrote in memory of my uncle (1973-2003)
djtypykuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtypykuhl
i had this problem before...
i had two mollies that happened to be male that were about 3months old (this was before i really wanted to breed, and just watched what happened) and they were "going after" my largest female.
those little suckers mature quickly!...
Yes... I noticed my Creamsicle males develop their gonopodium at 7-10 wks...
(my Dalmatians not till 4 mths)
They impregnated all my female mollies and they were all birthing around 10-12 wks or so..
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Preston county, WV
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
Yes... I noticed my Creamsicle males develop their gonopodium at 7-10 wks...
(my Dalmatians not till 4 mths)
They impregnated all my female mollies and they were all birthing around 10-12 wks or so..
rabbits dont have anything on livebearers
__________________
29g breeding tank, 10g small fry tank
We only die because we accept death as an inevidabiliy. I'll live forever, no matter if it's physically or just as a memory. I refuse to be forgotten.
- Something i wrote in memory of my uncle (1973-2003)
djtypykuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtypykuhl View Post
rabbits dont have anything on livebearers
You got that right! It took me YEARS to give away the babies and their babies and their babies......at one point the 75g was a swarm of mollies everywhere- and I started with only two; a gift from a friend.
__________________
debisbooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Preston county, WV
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by debisbooked View Post
You got that right! It took me YEARS to give away the babies and their babies and their babies......at one point the 75g was a swarm of mollies everywhere- and I started with only two; a gift from a friend.
wow... i have 12 mollies, 12 platies, 2 swordtails, 3 corys, and a pleco in my 29g breeder...
in other words: "god, help me!"
__________________
29g breeding tank, 10g small fry tank
We only die because we accept death as an inevidabiliy. I'll live forever, no matter if it's physically or just as a memory. I refuse to be forgotten.
- Something i wrote in memory of my uncle (1973-2003)
djtypykuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by debisbooked

You got that right! It took me YEARS to give away the babies and their babies and their babies......at one point the 75g was a swarm of mollies everywhere- and I started with only two; a gift from a friend.
Your LFS's wouldnt buy them? Mine pay around $10/ 25 mollies
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Preston county, WV
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
Your LFS's wouldnt buy them? Mine pay around $10/ 25 mollies
nope, im on my own there...
i posted a thread yesterday about it if your interested.
but, no, the only LFS near me won't buy livebearers for some reason... and i'm afraid to ask wal-mart, simply because i don't want to sign a death warrent for my fishies
__________________
29g breeding tank, 10g small fry tank
We only die because we accept death as an inevidabiliy. I'll live forever, no matter if it's physically or just as a memory. I refuse to be forgotten.
- Something i wrote in memory of my uncle (1973-2003)
djtypykuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtypykuhl

nope, im on my own there...
i posted a thread yesterday about it if your interested.
but, no, the only LFS near me won't buy livebearers for some reason... and i'm afraid to ask wal-mart, simply because i don't want to sign a death warrent for my fishies
I just read your thread.... You've got it busy over there!
We'll see how long it takes to slow my operation down... My only male Molly died last night. He left behind 5 females
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtypykuhl View Post
nope, im on my own there...
.. and i'm afraid to ask wal-mart, simply because i don't want to sign a death warrent for my fishies
Yea, my local Walmart pretty much neglects their fish department. I used to 'rescue' fish from then but decided I was only encouraging them to continue to sell fish.
__________________
debisbooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Preston county, WV
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
I just read your thread.... You've got it busy over there!
We'll see how long it takes to slow my operation down... My only male Molly died last night. He left behind 5 females
females will change gender if there is not enough males to continue their genetics (yes, this has been prooven) so you won't be out of business for long
__________________
29g breeding tank, 10g small fry tank
We only die because we accept death as an inevidabiliy. I'll live forever, no matter if it's physically or just as a memory. I refuse to be forgotten.
- Something i wrote in memory of my uncle (1973-2003)
djtypykuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Preston county, WV
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by debisbooked View Post
Yea, my local Walmart pretty much neglects their fish department. I used to 'rescue' fish from then but decided I was only encouraging them to continue to sell fish.
same here...
my last purchaces were actually wal-mart saves.
my local wal-mart is closing down it's live fish section by the end of the year, but continueing to sell fish supplies.
it's good that not too mant more fish will have to suffer "the wal-mart syndrone"
__________________
29g breeding tank, 10g small fry tank
We only die because we accept death as an inevidabiliy. I'll live forever, no matter if it's physically or just as a memory. I refuse to be forgotten.
- Something i wrote in memory of my uncle (1973-2003)
djtypykuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ocminpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,279
Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtypykuhl

females will change gender if there is not enough males to continue their genetics (yes, this has been prooven) so you won't be out of business for long
Hmm they've all had babies... No sex change with no male for 2 mths... I know we're in Southern California, but geez
__________________
ocminpin
ocminpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Preston county, WV
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocminpin View Post
Hmm they've all had babies... No sex change with no male for 2 mths... I know we're in Southern California, but geez
lol... it may just take a while for the females to realize that they can no longer get pregnant.
or maybe it's more rare than all the books say it is...
__________________
29g breeding tank, 10g small fry tank
We only die because we accept death as an inevidabiliy. I'll live forever, no matter if it's physically or just as a memory. I refuse to be forgotten.
- Something i wrote in memory of my uncle (1973-2003)
djtypykuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
babies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How often do they have babies? Skanham Cichlid Discussion 1 12-27-2011 06:56 PM
Braziliensis babies! Romdom515 Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 8 10-29-2011 09:49 PM
We have babies lol Chasnkevin4ever Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 10-28-2011 10:19 PM
Bristlenose pleco babies Bl80 Cichlid Discussion 19 09-05-2011 07:52 PM
Help ! Save My Babies !! Charlo Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 13 09-05-2011 04:11 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.