my bettas have been going at it for over 7 hours.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
And she is still dropping eggs. They both look exhausted, but keep going at it.

How long should I let this go on?

Thanks. It was not difficult to get them going. If you want to know how I did it, here you go:

I set up a 10 gallon tank with a H.O.B. filter a week before I wanted to try them. I put the male in 1 day before the female. I added a small net style breeding basket to the tank and added the female to the breeding basket. I also put a heater in the tank set to 79 degrees, and a lid from a disposable tupperware container. In about an hour after I added the female, the male started blowing his nest. I let him do this for 24 hours, then let the female out, dropped the water level an inch or so and turned off the filter.

Then I grabbed a beer and waited. Within minutes they were under the nest, doing the dance.

It is going on hour 9 and they are still going at it. Both look ragged and tired. But they are both still doing it, she is still releasing eggs, and they are both putting eggs into the nest. He has not chased her out, and she is helping him keep the eggs in the nest. I am jut going to keep an eye on them and if one starts looking aggressive, or eating eggs or leaves the nest area, I will remove the female. I have a nice soothing bath ready for her with some pimafix and a touch of maroxy for her fins.

Thats awesome. My male is in there alone and blew a bubble nest already for some reason :?: He blew it in the corner of my 10 g where i have plastic plants floating. I actually might not breed him anymore though, I picked up some Julies today..i think theyre getting the breeding tank and mr.betta is moving back out. What do you plan on doing with your betta fry just by curiousity? not sure if theyd be tradable or sellable around here.

Back
Top Bottom