My crayfish tank setup. (HELP QUICK)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover9000

Aquarium Advice Freak
Mommy has eggs!!! (moderator edit)

how do i care for the eggs?

do they need to hatch out of water? (there is no way out of water)

P.S i got her wild along with the other 2 from my creek.

Dont you love the way i set the pump up to make running water. (PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS)

Youtube video:

YouTube - My crayfish tank!

HELP!

Yeah they are buried in the mud, they emerge eventually, not sure on the period of time but I do remember about the mud now. My creekbed isnt disturbed from emerging crawbabies

i will just let her take care of them.... anyway, do you like the way i set up the tank since they are used to a running creek.

If you can get her seperated form the other one, she will lay them in that cave and be done with it.

Its nice, how much current is that in there? forget a creek is large and always moving/flowing, the 10g is just recirculating, if you can turn it down a bit im sure the babies will lve the gentler water flow

Ok.

How much hiding places is needed... also i put 2 algae disks in there... will they eat them?

they might nibble at em, but they prefer meat.

How do you post a youtube vid on this site?

[youtube][/youtube] ?

they might nibble at em, but they prefer meat.

How do you post a youtube vid on this site?

[youtube][/youtube] ?

is your vid up on youtube yet?

if so just go to the globe with paper clip and click that and copy the link to your youtube video and then it should just show up like mine.
:BIG:

It up, got it in the showcase thread "MINE but not Mine" thread.

We as outfitters put all those fish in there, they are all 100% local game fish native to northern illinois and illinois waterways.

I got pics of the waterfall and indoor trout pond that has a full size bull moose in it.

I took the pics right when I got there at 6am central time, im going back tomorrow to get some work done to one of my bows so Ill take daytime pics, ill even see what time feeding is so I can get you a feed video.

Most native species will carry the eggs under her tail until they hatch, and some for a little longer. Don't expect to see them deposited somewhere right away. They are fully aquatic (an exception exists, but you'd know it) and should be kept in the water along with the eggs.

The current isn't necessary unless you just like it for esthetic reasons. Crayfish occur in both flowing and stagnant water, and if you find it easier to maintain a low-flow tank they would be just as happy. Plants are easier to grow, and some substrates are easier to arrange and maintain in a low-flow environment. Current is good for some fish though. You might find it interesting to add some minnows from the same creek to that tank (hard to feed flake with that current though).

Algae wafers are just fine as a primary diet for those guys. In the wild they eat primarily plant matter. Given a choice they will indeed prefer meat since it is more calorie-dense, but they don't need it by any means, and I've heard it tends to make them more aggressive. That isn't necessarily an issue with a tank as lightly stocked as that one, but keep it in mind. From time to time they do appreciate a bit of meat as a treat. Anything you would eat is fine for them if it doesn't have sauce on it.

I would suggest, if you were to reduce the water flow, adding a double handful of dead leaves (brown from the fall to minimize the input of chemicals from sap; that way you don't have to worry much about tree species). Crawdads will munch on fallen leaves when there isn't other food available, and it will help ensure there is always enough food available.

Make sure you're not removing shed exoskeletons. They need to eat that to recover the calcium.

Please do not release any of the babies, even into the same creek where you caught the parents. Once kept in an indoor aquarium they have been exposed to exotic diseases, and even if they show no symptoms they have the potential to do a great deal of damage to your creek. You just never know what exotic organisms came with your tropical fish equipment. If you find yourself overrun, they're awfully good to eat, or you can trade or donate them to the pet store which usually stocks them, but never release to the wild.

Most native species will carry the eggs under her tail until they hatch, and some for a little longer. Don't expect to see them deposited somewhere right away. They are fully aquatic (an exception exists, but you'd know it) and should be kept in the water along with the eggs.

The current isn't necessary unless you just like it for esthetic reasons. Crayfish occur in both flowing and stagnant water, and if you find it easier to maintain a low-flow tank they would be just as happy. Plants are easier to grow, and some substrates are easier to arrange and maintain in a low-flow environment. Current is good for some fish though. You might find it interesting to add some minnows from the same creek to that tank (hard to feed flake with that current though).

Algae wafers are just fine as a primary diet for those guys. In the wild they eat primarily plant matter. Given a choice they will indeed prefer meat since it is more calorie-dense, but they don't need it by any means, and I've heard it tends to make them more aggressive. That isn't necessarily an issue with a tank as lightly stocked as that one, but keep it in mind. From time to time they do appreciate a bit of meat as a treat. Anything you would eat is fine for them if it doesn't have sauce on it.

I would suggest, if you were to reduce the water flow, adding a double handful of dead leaves (brown from the fall to minimize the input of chemicals from sap; that way you don't have to worry much about tree species). Crawdads will munch on fallen leaves when there isn't other food available, and it will help ensure there is always enough food available.

Make sure you're not removing shed exoskeletons. They need to eat that to recover the calcium.

Please do not release any of the babies, even into the same creek where you caught the parents. Once kept in an indoor aquarium they have been exposed to exotic diseases, and even if they show no symptoms they have the potential to do a great deal of damage to your creek. You just never know what exotic organisms came with your tropical fish equipment. If you find yourself overrun, they're awfully good to eat, or you can trade or donate them to the pet store which usually stocks them, but never release to the wild.

GREAT INFO THANKS!!! do you have experience with them?

What state are you in, jut FYI, in my state it is 100% illegal to own crawfish as pets. Not sure why but disease and exotic( non native to the area) spepcies of craws will overrun other craws.

Check your DNR's website

First, if it isn't, don't worry about it. What I told you about not re-releasing captive animals is more important, and is the reason for the law anyway (unless you discover you took an endangered species, then you call the DNR, but that isn't likely here). If it were illegal, you just don't take any more and you don't put that pair back in any wild environment.

Now, for your peace of mind, I did just look up your state regulations, and you're fine. "It is unlawful for a person to sell, purchase, offer for sale or barter" a list of species including rusty crayfish (an invasive species). No prohibition on possession, you just can't transfer ownership to someone else.

I do keep a number of wild-caught crayfish myself. I find they are great pets, although they tend to be shy and nocturnal. Overstocking them in a tank or providing fewer hiding spots makes them more active, but I have to assume it's stressful and I don't recommend it. They do well with dwarf shrimp since those are also nocturnal and therefore good at evading hunting crayfish. I keep native ghost shrimp with them myself, the kind usually sold as feeders at the pet stores, but there's no reason you couldn't keep any of the more popular Neocaridina species (red cherry shrimp, etc) with them. Fish are sometimes attacked and eaten when they sleep, but many native fish are adapted to remain high in the water column while sleeping and may be safely kept in the same tank.

Ok.. it think 3 crayfish are enuf for my 10g so i will leave it be.

i just threw in a feeder goldfish... the mom was trying to get it but could not catch it so i snipped the tail off and there was a few nice body shots by the crayfish..

did you ever feed live to you cray??

^^^ Cutting one side fin off is fun too. the fish get a kick out of the chase( the hungry fish not the feeder)

Update: mom has berried a corner in the side of the tank.
is this to put the babys in?

P4180003.jpg
P4180002.jpg

side fin? interesting...

Back
Top Bottom