Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My dalmation molly only had one fry?

The fry looks a lot like the golden panda molly I had, so I am not sure if it is her fry or the other molly's fry? I noticed to fry about a week after the golden panda molly died. The chances of me not noticing the fry earlier are VERY small, I spend a lot of time with my aquarium, and I am sure I would have noticed it earlier.
One month later, under the assumption that my dalmation molly was not going to give birth to any more fry, she birthed 20+ adorable fry. A great majority of them are still alive and doing well!
The first thing I noticed is that the first fry looks WAY different than the other fry. He was born with a distinctive color pattern and looks pretty DECENT SIZED for a newborn. The molly's that were just born all seem to have either of 3 color patterns, black, brown, or white.
I'm sure over time they will develop the spoting of a damlmation molly, but my question is if I should keep an extra eye on the first fry? I noticed he is sort of ignored by the other fry, and he is always doing his own thing. He is one of the more active of the fry, but I just wanted to get someone's feedback?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is possible to still overlook a fry. I have done it many times and spend a lot of time with my tanks. I had one that acted odd. It's mom was a dalmation molly too. It always scooted around on the substrate and stayed by itself. It is almost a year old now and still acts differently from the other mollies. It likes to scoot around in the substrate and will sift through the sand. He swims fine and chases the girls all the time but he is just way different from any molly I have owned. He also has three colors, black, silvery white, and orange.

Tags
dalmation molly, fry, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com