My female betta, has she taken too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beautifulbettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390015686.639044.jpgim breeding my female betta and I was wondering if these wounds were considered serious enough to remove her please answer quickly!

Have they spawned yet? If they havent then you need to remove her and let her heal up then try again once she is healed. It can take several attempts with different male and female combinations before you may find a couple that "works". I've done it successfully and when I got the right couple the dance started fairly quickly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow thank you, I just separated them I'll try reconditioning them and I'll keep you posted

Those wounds are not really all that bad considering. Breeding Bettas is not for the weak hearted. It can get brutal and fish have been lost from the after effects of spawning. That's the risk you take when breeding these fish. They are designed however, to take this kind of abuse and survive. Their fins don't always heal to the way they were before they spawned but they do heal. After spawning was completed, I just put my females in water that had been medicated with Furazone green or Nitrofurazone to prevent any secondary infections. This worked very well.
Just make sure, when you try them again, that the female is in good shape, well conditioned, and showing her breeding stripes before you let her loose with the male. If you are unfamiliar with the breeding stripes on a betta, you can see pics of this in my albums in my bio page.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much I'm reconditioning her on more frozen blood worms it put antibacterial and anti fungal solution in her tank as well as Stress Coat, I hope she heals soon! She can't swim all that well right now

You should really condition on live food for optimum breeding. You could do a combo of frozen bloodworms and live brine shrimp. Mine loved those little live black worms. They live stuff really gets them in the mood.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom