My goldfish are breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mysticalkitten

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's happens three times now my fancy tailed gold fish that I though was a boy is being chased around by my shubunkin. He has his nose up the tail of the other fish and there both swimming like crazy tubing on plants and slaping there tails on the plants. This goes on for hours than stops. It did not happy for weeks than there back at it. I can't see any eggs or would not know what to look for but the other two goldfish are swinging I would think they are eating the way they are at the ground and nibbling the plants and around.
Every one is in good health. I placed the shubunkin in another tank thinking to give the other goldfish a break but they were both not eating at all I don't think they liked being apart once I put them back in the main tank all the other fish were happy and schooled together and even starting eating. I guess it's ok to leave the breeding pair there? I have not seen any baby fish. Should I worry about over breeding I never planned on breeding lol...there just doing the deed.:fish1:

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as they are not doing any bullying or you see shredding fins, etc. or other examples of stress they should be able to be together.

Check the water parameters to make sure they are not stressed over water quality.

It is possible to get babies, I wouldn't really worry about it though if you want to try to raise them you might need to do some pre planning for housing and food.

Thank you. No fin damage and water is checking out good since I added a canister Sun Sun to the tank the water has been doing good. I have a little but of algae on the glass but I think my pleco is being lazy he loves coming up to the top when I feed the fish and sucking in some pellets and I seen him nibbling on some plants.
Can't see any eggs I think the other gold fish ate them but it's ok I just want the four that I have to get biger.

Back
Top Bottom