My Kenyi is holding (I think). It's our first

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think (almost positive) my female Kenyi is holding, Rainbow is a mouth brooder. Here are a couple of pictures. If I had video it would be better, because you can see her face moving around in a weird way. Plus Rainbow hasn't had her mouth open for a week.
Most African Cichlids give this big wide yawn, but not Rainbow, her mouth is shut tight.
The last picture is what Rainbow looked like before. She didn't use to have a bump under where her chin should be.
Now her face is bigger all over, but not her body.

Awesome. I think I am going through the same thing. I'm pretty sure my Auratus is holding. She hasn't ate in a few days, and like you said she isn't opening her mouth

Really cool! Never heard of that.

I'm not sure how many breeds are what they call mouth brooders. Most African Cichlids I think, and there are probably more.
I have a picture of what one looks like just before they spit out little fish.
It's not my fish, but it one of those "a picture says a thousand words".
My Kenyi isn't this far along, but she has a good size lump under her chin and her face is flaring out. Along with you can see her face shifting around, when she isn't hiding.
This poor little thing has so many fry, she can no longer hold her mouth closed

Awesome. I think I am going through the same thing. I'm pretty sure my Auratus is holding. She hasn't ate in a few days, and like you said she isn't opening her mouth

Cool, do you have any pictures? It helps to get a second opinion. The best way to do that is post pictures. That way people that have been through it before can verify it for you.
From what I've read, it takes about 3 weeks for them to incubate. But I'll find out for sure in about 12-14 days.
Any idea who the Dad is?

":fish2::fish1::fish2::fish1::fish2::fish1:"

Hey! Wendi, that's great news, have you told Casey yet, or are you holding off for a whlle?.

Pete

Hi Pete,
Oh yes, he knows. He has quite figured out the whole thing about babies in their mouth instead of in their tummies.He asks a ton of questions though. So far none of them to difficult to answer, thank goodness.
We are all pretty excited about it though

that is soooo cool!! I have never heard of this! Fish really are amazing :) cant wait to hear how it goes

that is soooo cool!! I have never heard of this! Fish really are amazing :) cant wait to hear how it goes

First, I love your Pug, he's/she's darling. Next, I agree, fish and all they do are amazing.
As of right now I have Rainbow in a tank by herself. She's not eating at all, which is normal for mouth brooders.
I have a small terrace in the tank she's in and she spends all her time under the terrace :hide: . It's shadowy but I can still see her enough to know that she's doing fine and her throat is just getting a little bigger every day.
The only thing I'm worried about is that she is kind of a dainty Kenyi and the father is a HUGE Red Top. Charlie isn't even a year old and he's one of the largest Mbunas I've seen. He's been the largest fish in the tank since they all were 1" babies. So I hope the fry aren't to big to soon for Rainbow. This being our first time with fish babies I'm not sure how that part works.
:fish1::fish2::fish1::fish2::fish1::fish2:

Thanks, My pugs name is Elli, she'll be 3 at the end of July. FUNNY funny girl ;)

Now im wondering if "mouth holders" are better parents than say mollies who will eat their young?! It seems they sacrifice alot to grow those little babies :) SO cool! how do they know when to let them out? do they stay in until there out of the "egg sack" and swimming around :)

Thanks, My pugs name is Elli, she'll be 3 at the end of July. FUNNY funny girl ;)

Now im wondering if "mouth holders" are better parents than say mollies who will eat their young?! It seems they sacrifice alot to grow those little babies :) SO cool! how do they know when to let them out? do they stay in until there out of the "egg sack" and swimming around :)

The fry swim out on their own, but they hang out very close to moms mouth in case of any danger and she lets them back in to protect them. Yes they are known for being great parents where most fish really like to eat their young. are not such good parents

The fry swim out on their own, but they hang out very close to moms mouth in case of any danger and she lets them back in to protect them. Yes they are known for being great parents where most fish really like to eat their young. are not such good parents

That is so cool! so ummm keeping inmind this is a family friendly site, if the eggs are in her mouth how do they get fertalized? prior to her putting them in her mouth or??

That is so cool! so ummm keeping inmind this is a family friendly site, if the eggs are in her mouth how do they get fertalized? prior to her putting them in her mouth or??

Tasha I think the eggs are fertilized (cichlid style) before she picks them up :lol: I'm sure wendi will confirm.

Pete

Keep us posted wendi, a pic or two of the free swimmers would be
appreciated by all if you can manage. look forward to seeing them.

Pete

This makes me wish I had mouth brooders!! I want baby fishies!!! :) keep us posted...I'm excited for you guys :)

Ps...the little guy in my avatar is my first cichlid! Him and his girlfriend are the cutest lil things...

To Tasha, Pete, joyler.
I'm afraid it's the or, fertilization occurs after she picks up the eggs.
If you go to the Thread "Bad pics, but my first Peacocks" and read post #35, I explain in detail how it all works for mouth brooders from sexing to breeding to birth which is actually spitting out the little swimmers, so not quite birth. but Rainbow still doesn't look happy about her situation.
Of course I will take tons of pictures, please remember that I am a crummy photographer and the lighting in her tank is very low to help reduce stress.
I'm not sure if there are any peaceful mouth brooder that can be in a community tank, I'm sure there must be one or two. I'll research it for you and let you know.

To Tasha, Pete, joyler.
I'm afraid it's the or, fertilization occurs after she picks up the eggs.
If you go to the Thread "Bad pics, but my first Peacocks" and read post #35, I explain in detail how it all works for mouth brooders from sexing to breeding to birth which is actually spitting out the little swimmers, so not quite birth. but Rainbow still doesn't look happy about her situation.
Of course I will take tons of pictures, please remember that I am a crummy photographer and the lighting in her tank is very low to help reduce stress.
I'm not sure if there are any peaceful mouth brooder that can be in a community tank, I'm sure there must be one or two. I'll research it for you and let you know.

Thanks WendiDell, Im going to check out that post, I just find it all so interesting... Now I want a bigger tank with mouth brooder ciclids :) cant wait to see pics..

ok checked out that post, VERY interesting!!! how big are these mouth brooders?

Back
Top Bottom