Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichildlife View Post
I dont have a big enough tank nd i dont think my parents wouldnt let me buy fish online. but if i could i would
Well I was thinking I could just send you a few, no charge except maybe shipping. One day you'll have a bigger tank.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!!! Do you still have the babies? (er, they're probably not babies anymore though lol)

Thanks, unfortunately no babies lived past their release from the breeder box. I had a tank divider in there to keep all the other fish out because once they were in the box, the other angels would hover at the bottom and suck them through the mesh. Well I couldn't see well enough to tell that there wasn't a good seal between the divider and the glass so when I let them go and they began to explore, they immediately found that tiny space, shot through and became lunch. I was horrified and crushed, they were just big enough to identify as fish, I think the set up zparticle has made with a seperate tank is the way to go.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

They moved the babies again.

Fry video
Old 09-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol cool, almost freeswimming (maybe) congrats!!!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are some stills, it's hard to get clear pics of something that small when shooting through water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Angel Fry 001.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	51291Click image for larger version

Name:	Angel Fry 003.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	51292Click image for larger version

Name:	Angel Fry 004.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	51293

I'm kind of ticked off. I was at the LFS (Fish Den) and this woman and her kid were starting up an aquarium. The guy behind the counter is saying "get the tank setup and put 6-8 fish in there to cycle the tank".

Now I'm not necessarily against a fish-in cycle but he wasn't even trying to explain to them other options and what they were going to have to do if they kept fish in there. I turned around and said "hey you could just go to Ace Hardware, get some ammonia and avoid killing your fish" the guy at the counter was like, "No, that's old school, don't do that". I gave him a dirty look and winked at the lady.

Anyway, bugged me that the options weren't presented to her and the kid.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think they good nd yea i know nd its not old school i did that nd will do that. They always say that at my lfs (fish unlimited) never sugget a cycle with fish... I know the owner and he gives me deals once and a while!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like the parents got tired of trying to keep the babies on that steep standing leaf. They have moved them again this time to another leaf that is mostly laying down.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea i huess lol!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is hard to tell but I think I counted most of them, see the pic below each dot is a wriggler. At least 200 wrigglers. I know there were many more eggs than that. It will be interesting to see how many make it. The LFS guys said he will maybe buy them once they are at least the size of a nickle. So that will be at least a few months.

I've been feeding the parents a lot. They are spending tons of energy keeping track of the little buggers. So I've been giving them blood worms, brine shrimp and flakes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Angel Fry 001-the count.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	51352
Old 09-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow! Nd yea good luck im gonna say there gonna be bout 50+ once they free swimming!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cichildlife, you need to go delete your PMs, your inbox is full.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry bout that... Cleared.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

And they are moving them around again, lol. Being a parent is a lot of work.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think my guys are at it again. Saw them cleaning a spot again. This is egg bunch number four. If it doesn't happen this time I might swap my male for another. Are angels monogamous?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingsfishy View Post
I think my guys are at it again. Saw them cleaning a spot again. This is egg bunch number four. If it doesn't happen this time I might swap my male for another. Are angels monogamous?
Apparently only while they are raising a brood. They will change partners if others are available.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well not much new to report. They are getting bigger, close to being free swimming I think. I came home and thought the parents had eaten half of them, because a bunch were missing, but I found them on yet another leaf.

My brine shrimp haven't hatched yet, I think that batch isn't going to. So I started another batch in a different container, I'll leave the first batch alone and see if they ever do hatch.

I've also got some lettuce in a bit of water because the guy said it would get little bugs on it that I could feed the fish, can't see any bugs yet.

Getting antsy to have these guys swimming around in the tank.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool, nd lol little movers hahahaha
Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank is getting awfully dirty, I think I'm going to attempt to vacuum the substrate. Hope this isn't a huge mistake.

Oh and I can now see the little eyes on the babies and their insides.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank is cleaned up, for the most part. The parents were NOT happy with me having that siphon in there with the babies. I don't think I sucked up any of the babies, changed about 50% of the water.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool! Lol they really are good parents!

Tags
eat, egg, eggs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com