My marbel angle fish laid eggs! Neat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, I have been out of touch! Looks really good!

I have a couple tips from my experience that may or may not help. To harvest your brine shrimps easily just use a straw, you know put your finger on it/cap it then put it in water and remove finger - suck up shrimps! I then put them in a shotglass with water from the tank in it to rinse them. Worked pretty good.

To protect them from the filter, you can get a little mesh bag from Petsmart to cover it with. They also have them with sponge type things, but I found it really restricted the water flow.

Sorry about your losses and I hope things are going well now!

Wow, I have been out of touch! Looks really good!

I have a couple tips from my experience that may or may not help. To harvest your brine shrimps easily just use a straw, you know put your finger on it/cap it then put it in water and remove finger - suck up shrimps! I then put them in a shotglass with water from the tank in it to rinse them. Worked pretty good.

To protect them from the filter, you can get a little mesh bag from Petsmart to cover it with. They also have them with sponge type things, but I found it really restricted the water flow.

Sorry about your losses and I hope things are going well now!

Thanks that sounds like a good way to do it. Neither of the two batches of brine shrimp produced much at all so I'm sticking with first bites for the time being. :)

Update! I've remove everything from the tank except one plant and the sand. There are lots of little free swimmers moving around all over the tank. The water is filthy again so I cleaned the filter and I'm waiting for the water to clear up a bit before I try to take pics. There are more left than I thought, so that is good news. :D

A tip for anyone else going through this. Make a lot of dents in the sand. They seem to be gathering in the low areas of the sand, I assume to stay out the filter current. (y)

Hi. Sorry to hear uv lost some. As u know, I removed eggs after spawning and its been constant work for me since. However I got loads of wrigglers and parents are eyeing up the cd/slate for probably next week laying again. Dad only missed about a dozen eggs out of I'd say 300 so think he aims better than me!!!

I had a couple trying to swim, thinking by Saturday they will be on the move. I gathered my eggs with a air tube and my suction and placed into an upside down weighted metal coffee jar lid inside the tank. Keeps them all together for cleaning the tank and I can keep an eye on them.

Keep us up to date. I'm a couple of days behind you so be interesting to see how you get on. Mine laid on the 11th.

Kev.

My lord there are tons of themmm!!!! Now how many are expected to survive from this point on?

My lord there are tons of themmm!!!! Now how many are expected to survive from this point on?

Hard to say, it is a long river to swim, so to speak. There are maybe 50-100 left at this point out of 200+ wrigglers. I should have taken the parents out sooner.

They definitely move the fry around a lot, its normal behavior for cichlids. I think it's primarily to keep the fry safe. All of my cichlids that have bred do this, they'll let them free swim in a certain area but if the current is too strong they will keep moving them, and at night they will tuck them all into a corner somewhere. I've noticed that some parents will try to spit all the free swimmers back onto a leaf or corner all the time, and they also spit food on them, so it may be that they are trying to get them to eat as well.

Oh smart. Next time will you just move it right after their laid so the parents wont keep moving them?

On the subject of angelfish laying eggs, my plat blue/german gold pair just spawned again last night. The fry from the last spawn are looking more like angelfish now, if I can bring myself to take pics then I'll let you know, lol.

Back
Top Bottom