My marbel angle fish laid eggs! Neat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what the sand thing is about. I know that when they hatch and start free swimming they will sometimes corral them and put them back on the leaf and then spit food on them, so it may have something to do with that.

Holy crap! Those aren't eggs anymore they are tiny little fish. I can see them wiggling around on the new leaf! How cool is that!?!? I wish my little camera could zoom in for you to see them. I might try to get some stills with my Nikon. :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Yeah they move them when they start wiggling, that's totally normal. I think they do it to keep them away from any possible fungus from the non hatching eggs, I'm not sure. Hope you can get some pics, it's tough!

So what do I do about the filter, can I leave it running? I have a little fry net box thing. Can I just cover the leaf with that thing so I can leave the filter on? Should I take the parents out now or leave them in there?

I really dont know id say leave the parents in, you could cover the filter with nilon or something

OMG that is awesome!!! lol Wow, congrats Z!!! I'd love to see a video or some pics when you can get it. Woo hoo!!! They look like awesome parents too! :dance:

Get an aquaclear filter sponge from the pet store and cut it to fit over the filter intake, once they start free swimming they will go right into the filter.

Thanks, I figured that something like that would be the solution so I just got back from the pet store where I picked up some Penn-Plax Cascade Bio-Floss pads I rubber banded one around the filter intake seems to be working nicely. Also picked up some FirstBites stuff and will go get some brine shrimp eggs to hatch tomorrow, the pet store had no live food.

I don't know what the sand thing is about. I know that when they hatch and start free swimming they will sometimes corral them and put them back on the leaf and then spit food on them, so it may have something to do with that.

I think I know what the sand is about. I noticed that when they pick one off of the ground they get a little sand with it in their mouths. So that explains that.

I dont have a big enough tank nd i dont think my parents wouldnt let me buy fish online.:( but if i could i would

Well this is just fascinating. I'm watching the parents behavior. It is incredible that this much specific behavior is just "built in".

They are constantly on the look out for fallen fry. I mean constantly, they never stop looking. If they find one they immediately pick it up in their mouth and spit it back out onto the pile of fry.

The original leaf where the eggs were laid is now completely cleaned off.

Back
Top Bottom