My surprise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christian_cowgirlGSR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About a month ago, I ordered some plants, one of which was an anubias nana "petite". The "petite" looked decent on arrival but had brown around the edges of all the leaves. it shed all of it's leaves within a day or two of arriving, and then my apple snails started eating the rhizome. In an attempt to save it from the snails, I put it in my 1 gallon tank. Last week, as I usually do since I put the anubias in the 1 gallon tank, I dumped out the water in the 1 gallon tank and put tank water from my bucket back into the 1 gallon (yep, 100% water change in the 1 gallon since there was only plants in there). When doing my weekly water change yesterday, I went to dump the water out of my 1 gallon tank but discovered something swimming around in it! Much to my surprise, I had a baby fish swimming around in my 1 gallon tank. It had been in there for a week without being fed, with no bubbler, with no water movement, and with algae starting to build up on the sides of the tank. When compared to the "new" fry, the baby fish in the 1 gallon was about twice as big. That's quite a bit of growth for a week's time, wouldn't you say? When I cleaned my "big" tank yesterday, I found baby fish in the bucket. This time, I purposefully fished some of the baby fish out of the bucket and put them in the 1 gallon tank in hopes they'd live.

What do y'all think? Will the baby fish survive in the 1 gallon tank or was the one baby surviving in there for a week just a fluke? If they get big enough, I have a 5 gallon tank I can set up and put them in.

thats awesome:) they should have some sort of filtration(sponge being best) if you want them to survive. the 5 would be better than the one. do you have any idea what species they are?

I've only got two types of fish in my "big" tank, so I know that the babies have to be either White Cloud Mountain Minnows (WCMM) or a danio (I have 1 zebra danio and two long-finned leopard danios). I've raised a danio fry before, and the danio seemed to grow really slowly. My guess (and it is just a guess) would be that the baby is a WCMM, though I won't know for sure until it gets big enough to identify.

So I found some danio fry in my tank I sucked like 10 of them up with a turkey baster. they are now in a plastic breeder box in my main tank. They have no air and just the heat from the main tank. I did give them a betta light though. Is this ok for them for now? I started some infuflora "I think that's how it's spelled" I put some spinach in 2 bottles half full of conditioned water and added an algea pellet. I started it like 5 days ago it's cloudy but not pink which I heard it needs to be. How much longer do I have to wait? Also I sucked some water from around my oxalis I heard thats another way to get infuflora. I also have fry food but They are so small I can't imagin them eating it. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Nope they are deffianately danio fry I only have guppies and danio and I have raised many guppies and they are far too small to be them. I also found a few loose eggs which I sucked up as well plus they were sticking to the glass. Does anyone have any coments on how I'm keeping them never raised danio fry am I doing ok? Do they need air?

Light aeration would be the best for them, even if its just an airstone. Soon as they are bigger than an eyelash would move them to the 5g and whilest in the 1g you'll have to really stay on top of your water changes just like with any fry.
With the plants in your tank and danios being egg scatters you may get lucky and some that you may have missed will be able to survive in the tank.

Thanks so much for your help I was worried they would be no more by the time I got a reply.

So now I have like 200 danio babies they seem to be doing great, but now comes the question what am I going to do with them all? I will keep a few and my local pet store sells them for $2.40 any Idea of what price I should propose to the pet store per danio. Thanks again everyone for your help!!!

Back
Top Bottom