Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Untaughtlibra84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post

To sex your gouramis look at the dorsal fins. The male dorsal fin is much longer than the female.

male

male with female

The first two pictures are the longer finned gold, the one that's guarding the bubble nest. The last two pictures are the shorter finned one, who isn't even allowed on the same side of the tank as the bubble nest. The other gold won't allow it to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1938433195.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	206905   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-440662769.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	206907  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3724870152.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	206909   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4084093753.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	206910  

__________________

__________________
Untaughtlibra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,182
Okay, this sounds like post spawn behavior as males are the ones who care for the nest and eggs but they certainly don;t do it in the middle of the glass. Also, the eggs usually have an oil drop to make them float so they shouldn't be stuck to the glass in any case. There are some algae forms that reproduce in a jelly like substance ( I googled "animals that reproduce in jelly" ) so this may be one of those? Too many things not making sense on this one. They did look like clear eggs in that first pic which really makes me believe snails. Gourami eggs are usually white. So many questions, so little info lol Time will tell. Keep your eyes open for little snails to "all of a sudden" appear
__________________

__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Piratechest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 388
Snails or aliens
__________________
Piratechest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratechest View Post
Snails or aliens
Or maybe alien snails
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Untaughtlibra84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Okay, this sounds like post spawn behavior as males are the ones who care for the nest and eggs but they certainly don;t do it in the middle of the glass. Also, the eggs usually have an oil drop to make them float so they shouldn't be stuck to the glass in any case. There are some algae forms that reproduce in a jelly like substance ( I googled "animals that reproduce in jelly" ) so this may be one of those? Too many things not making sense on this one. They did look like clear eggs in that first pic which really makes me believe snails. Gourami eggs are usually white. So many questions, so little info lol Time will tell. Keep your eyes open for little snails to "all of a sudden" appear
A few posts ago I said I found a bubble nest floating directly above the mystery eggs. That's why it looked like he was guarding the mystery eggs, he was just guarding his own. I can't make out any eggs in the bubble nest as of yet.
__________________
Untaughtlibra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untaughtlibra84 View Post
A few posts ago I said I found a bubble nest floating directly above the mystery eggs. That's why it looked like he was guarding the mystery eggs, he was just guarding his own. I can't make out any eggs in the bubble nest as of yet.
Unfortunately, it just really sounds like your fish is confused. That mass is not likely their eggs. It's in the wrong place and doing the wrong thing. Besides, Gourami eggs usually hatch in 24-36 hours at proper tamp (78-80 degrees). What you can do is look across the bottom of the bubble nest and see if you see any tails wiggling underneath there. (You may want to use a magnifying glass for this.) It's much easier to see the hatched fry from below than the egg in the nest from above. If there are fry, your fish may have found a new way to sink a bubble nest to hold the eggs. Never say never
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Untaughtlibra84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

Unfortunately, it just really sounds like your fish is confused. That mass is not likely their eggs. It's in the wrong place and doing the wrong thing. Besides, Gourami eggs usually hatch in 24-36 hours at proper tamp (78-80 degrees). What you can do is look across the bottom of the bubble nest and see if you see any tails wiggling underneath there. (You may want to use a magnifying glass for this.) It's much easier to see the hatched fry from below than the egg in the nest from above. If there are fry, your fish may have found a new way to sink a bubble nest to hold the eggs. Never say never
No I don't think he's guarding the mystery eggs. I DID, until I found his bubble nest floating above it. And figured out why he was hanging out in that corner. For HIS eggs, not the mystery eggs.

And I just checked on them and his bubble nest is gone now anyway. he just made it this morning and I guess changed his mind
__________________
Untaughtlibra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untaughtlibra84 View Post
No I don't think he's guarding the mystery eggs. I DID, until I found his bubble nest floating above it. And figured out why he was hanging out in that corner. For HIS eggs, not the mystery eggs.

And I just checked on them and his bubble nest is gone now anyway. he just made it this morning and I guess changed his mind

That may have to do with the water movement in the tank. Gouramis usually breed in slow to no moving water so he may have found a slow place to blow a nest but if the circulation changed ( by something as simple as a plant repositioning) he will scrap the project as the fry are very sensitive to water movement so when they know (or think they know) their spawns will not survive, they stop the spawning process.

So that may explain why his nest is gone. Now, back to those mystery eggs I really want to know what happens to them


Keep watching
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Untaughtlibra84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

That may have to do with the water movement in the tank. Gouramis usually breed in slow to no moving water so he may have found a slow place to blow a nest but if the circulation changed ( by something as simple as a plant repositioning) he will scrap the project as the fry are very sensitive to water movement so when they know (or think they know) their spawns will not survive, they stop the spawning process.

So that may explain why his nest is gone. Now, back to those mystery eggs I really want to know what happens to them

Keep watching
I'm definitely watching it. So far its unchanged. If its snails, I have no idea how small they will be when hatched but I'm looking for them.
__________________
Untaughtlibra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #30
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 709

This looks like a male. I can't make the other pictures out clearly enough on my screen...
__________________
mistersprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Untaughtlibra84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

That may have to do with the water movement in the tank. Gouramis usually breed in slow to no moving water so he may have found a slow place to blow a nest but if the circulation changed ( by something as simple as a plant repositioning) he will scrap the project as the fry are very sensitive to water movement so when they know (or think they know) their spawns will not survive, they stop the spawning process.

So that may explain why his nest is gone. Now, back to those mystery eggs I really want to know what happens to them

Keep watching
More "mystery" eggs literally JUST appeared! Same tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-181192267.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	207006  
__________________
Untaughtlibra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Khuligirl93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,945
Try googling "loach eggs" I saw a few pictures that look like what you have.
My guess is that your yoyo loach is a female and she is laying eggs, but they are not fertilized obviously, so they won't hatch.
__________________
20 gallon high-tech planted
Khuligirl93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Untaughtlibra84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 82
Eggs still there, and unchanged. I gathered all 4 of my ramshorns out of my other tanks and put them in a separate tank to themselves to see if maybe I can get eggs from them and compare.
__________________
Untaughtlibra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Khuligirl93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,945
Ramshorn eggs are clear yellow in a flat gel-like pouch on leaves. Not like yours.
__________________
20 gallon high-tech planted
Khuligirl93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Untaughtlibra84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khuligirl93 View Post
Ramshorn eggs are clear yellow in a flat gel-like pouch on leaves. Not like yours.
Well thank you one less experiment I have to do I think the only way ill ever know who laid these eggs is if either I actually see them lay more, or if by some chance they are fertile and happen to hatch... I've been driving myself nuts over these eggs. I've tried to breed numerous fish with no luck, so seeing eggs was kind of exciting
__________________
Untaughtlibra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
The Trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scotland
Posts: 419
Send a message via MSN to The Trooper
My plec randomly laid eggs in my tank, it's just something she done. I guess it must be similar to a humans menstrual cycle, with or without mating it just happens
__________________
The Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Untaughtlibra84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trooper View Post
My plec randomly laid eggs in my tank, it's just something she done. I guess it must be similar to a humans menstrual cycle, with or without mating it just happens
I hear ya lol I guess I was just excited. I've only bred convicts and auratus cichlid so it would of been a nice change to see a new kind of babies. Both batches of eggs are still there so only time will tell now
__________________
Untaughtlibra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Untaughtlibra84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 82
Just wanted to update, the eggs are still there along with another batch. They are obviously not fertile and ill be cleaning them out
__________________
Untaughtlibra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untaughtlibra84 View Post
Just wanted to update, the eggs are still there along with another batch. They are obviously not fertile and ill be cleaning them out

All this time and they didn;t hatch? Maybe they aren't eggs but egg casings instead? I'm stumped for the moment. lol
Happy cleaning
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Untaughtlibra84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 82
Not that I know of, all 3 batches of eggs were still there unchanged. I cleaned the older two off the glass and left the newest batch just too see if anything happens with it
__________________

__________________
Untaughtlibra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.