Mystery Fry! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfishkid

Aquarium Advice Activist
So as I came upstairs to feed my fish, I spotted a baby hanging out in the back! I have multiple livebearers in my tank but I was sure most of them were male. Wrong. I quickly plopped in the breeder box and netted my Dalmatian Lyretail Molly. Now that I look at it she looks somewhat squared off. But I'm having trouble identifying the fry, mollies and platies are so similar! I've lost sight of the fry right now though, but if I can catch it I'll put it in the breeder.

the fry:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395800973.049338.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395800998.354825.jpg

Suspected Momma:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395801018.002766.jpg

I can post pics of the others in my tank if needed.

UPDATE: I take that back, I think my sunburst platy is the momma, they fry has a distinct black tail and orange tinge. I also found I second fry and was able to catch it. I have one fry in the breeder box and one roaming the tank.

Please I do need help over here! So maybe it's not the sunburst, when I looked in this morning (not only were two of my fish dead) there was another fry! That brings up the count to: 1 in the box and 2 roaming the tank. Was the molly the pregnant one? This is all so confusing

It could have been that the momma dropped and you didn't see the fry but you did later?

Well it was likely a platy that dropped. Molly fry tend to be silver or black. As for the deaths, one could have been the female platy if her vent got clogged. I'd net all them fry, feed some brine shrimp and 2 weeks you will know for sure.

They look orange, which is for sure a platy. There isn't really any major differences other than full size and color.

Back
Top Bottom