Mystery snail breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcannelis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 3 mystery snails blue (squirtle) ivory ( peten) and gold ( archer) I'm pretty sure gold is female because there's a little hole on the bottom. I would like to know how to tell the gender. Can I cross breed. How many eggs are laid. What to do with babies If I do sell them how much for

Lt. said:
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure mystery snails are A-Sexual

I checked online and it says there's different genders but doesn't say much about difference except one has penis and one has hole

Mcannelis said:
I checked online and it says there's different genders but doesn't say much about difference except one has penis and one has hole

Go to applesnail.net there's a diagram that will help you. Yes you get male & female I have two girl's & one boy :)

Mcannelis said:
I have 3 mystery snails blue (squirtle) ivory ( peten) and gold ( archer) I'm pretty sure gold is female because there's a little hole on the bottom. I would like to know how to tell the gender. Can I cross breed. How many eggs are laid. What to do with babies If I do sell them how much for

Mystery/Apple snails must have a male & female. From what I've read online you cannot easily tell a male from a female but supposedly the shell opening is more "flared" on the male (I think). I could only tell when one laid eggs, the one I thought was a female turned out to be a male.

When they mate it is pretty obvious, one will climb on another's shell and insert the 'penis' on the right side of her. I had to females and one male and one of the females really did not like being mounted so I moved him to another tank. They lay eggs outside of the water in a pink cluster. They can lay upwards of 100 at a time. After a couple weeks they drop into the water. I have babies and I have no idea what to do with them. There are way to many to keep. Yes they will cross bred from what I read but my black female never laid after mating with the yellow male.

Teakwood said:
When they mate it is pretty obvious, one will climb on another's shell and insert the 'penis' on the right side of her. I had to females and one male and one of the females really did not like being mounted so I moved him to another tank. They lay eggs outside of the water in a pink cluster. They can lay upwards of 100 at a time. After a couple weeks they drop into the water. I have babies and I have no idea what to do with them. There are way to many to keep. Yes they will cross bred from what I read but my black female never laid after mating with the yellow male.

I had a gold one that mounted the larger black one pretty much daily, this made me believe the gold was male & the large black one was female. Well, the gold one developed a problem with his shell due to all of the "mating" so I swapped him for another black one I had. The 1st black that was the mountee became the mounter & then I had eggs from the 2nd black snail. It was all rather odd.

Oh wow! Never knew mystery snails had genders. I'd definitely like to know how to tell so I can pick up a couple males, and not worry about eggs or babies.

Removing the eggs is the best way to it have an over population, I let the fist egg cluster hatch and I'm going to guess about 30ish hatched. My mil accedentily washed the Tupperware I was sorting them in to count when I was up to 17 I think I have 10 I've found now, there kind of a pain, when I clean the gravel they flow up into the tube and I have to give it a shake so they fall back down to the tank.

I'm pretty sure they were just mating archer was on top of squirtle and the shell of squirtle was moving up and down

Back
Top Bottom