Mystery snail breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squiffy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm pretty sure that what I witnessed last night was my 2 mystery snails having some private time (though they weren't very private about it). How long after mating should I expect an egg sack? How long until it hatches? How do I keep them healthy once they are hatched? Should I invest in dill weed? And what in the world will I do with a bunch of snails? I'd like to keep a few of them, and I am soooo very not keen on killing them. Could I sell them to a retailer? Or do people actually buy them online and how much do they go for?

Sorry for the novel. I've become fairly passionate about snails and want to do right by them.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im not sure how long after mating to expect an egg sack but i definitely will help you with the surplus you can give me your price with shipping please and ill pay

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome. Pricing will have to wait until we see what colors we get. No egg sack yet, but I'm sure any day now. I'll will for sure let you know.

the females remain fertile for a long while after mating so it could be a long time before you see eggs. Make sure you have a lid, preferably glass, on your tank to keep humidity as they need that to lay the eggs. You could always try to trade your local fish store snails for other fish or supplies. Best wishes with your snails!

Thanks!

I lowered the water about an inch and turned my bubbler up just a smidge to increase the moisture at the top. As soon as I see an egg sack I'm planning on floating a bowl with a moist sponge and hatching them in there in the tank.

you don't even need to do that. Just leave the egg sack where it is and they will hatch just fine on their own. I've been through this many times and its best to let nature take its course with snails in this instance. Just don't let watch touch the eggs- but sounds like you already figured that out. :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm completely smitten with my snails! I want to know everything about them lol. Must websites I've found are all generalizations though and I want specifics lol. Wanna do right by them.

Question. She's spending more and more time at the water line. Normal behavior or looking for the right spot to deposit? She hadn't done this before they did the dirty.

Question. She's spending more and more time at the water line. Normal behavior or looking for the right spot to deposit? She hadn't done this before they did the dirty.

This means she's looking for a place to lay eggs. (y)

Whoo hoo! Should I leave the aquarium light on to provide heat? Or do I keep the usual cycle?

Keep your usual cycle as that is what the snails are used to. Do you supplement with Calcium? also what about fresh veggies?

They get a mini cucumber slice daily. I'm planning on buying some dill weed for them and the babies. Do I just clip it in there or do I need to blanch that as well?

I've never fed dillweed so I don't know. They like zucchini too and for strong shells supplement with liquid calcium. I like Kent brand marine calcium. just a few drops every few days or you can put cuttlebone like you would give a bird in the tank.

How long does the cuttlebone stay in the tank? Indefinitely?

My girl is catching a ride on the male's back. :D

Attachments

• 1408158016376.jpg
    1408158016376.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 85
Thanks! They are my first. I'm totally in love with them lol.

Hers was chipped at the mouth, but she's evened out the edge and hopefully it will repair. But it definitely looks better now.

Back
Top Bottom