Mystery Snail Eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My mystery snails in the 30 gallon have appearantly been busy... Woke up the other day to find a clutch of eggs on the inside of the hood lid. The only problem is, I don't really want any more snails. Is there a recomended way to dispose of them, or does anyone want the clutch? It is about 3 days old now, so shipping shouldn't be an issue.

Freezing may not work when trying to dispatch snail eggs as they've been known to survive this, snails and eggs alike. You can smash the eggs which is rather gross not my personal choice or you can burn them. Its faster that way. The eggs will go up rather fast once lit afire. I know it seems cruel but if you own them then you know population control is a responsibility that comes with it. I personally when I'm running low on snails keep a clutch or two but no more. All clutches after that are destroyed, until I'm low on snails again. You can also give your eggs away or sell them, but a lot of legal research has to go into that to make sure you are not violating any laws in your state or others that have been passed on snails due to irresponsible aqaurists releasing their unwanted snails into the wild. Then you have to make sure whomever you give the snail eggs to understands that as well and also the responsibility of population control. It may seem like a lot of work but if we want to keep the privilage of owning snails from being completely banned we must do it. Good luck with your lil snail eggies. I hope you can find them a new home perhaps instead of having to destroy them. ......You could whenever you see the snails mating, make a mental note to take the males out and put them in a seperate tank to keep them from breeding. That would make things a lot easier on you. You wouldn't have to make the tough desicion about disposing of eggs anymore. Well I must go feed my little son lunch now so take care justrelax. I hope this helps you out. Also if you should decide to keep your eggs,... just pm me and I'll give you incubating instructions.

Byeeeee :p

i wouldnt mind tking them off your hands. pm me and we can fig if u can ship them here or not. i am in tx and think it is ok to recieve stuff from most places here in my state, but i dont know what your laws are on shipping there in MI. but let me know.....

pleco person you say to freeze them? dont you breed snails?

i wouldnt mind some eggs either

I appreciate the feedback everyone. I did a little research on shipping them out of MI and it looks like a no go so far. I wasn't sure how long I had before these hatched and I had a ton of snails on my hands so I went ahead and euthanized the clutch. I have a buddy in the DNR and he's going to get me a solid answer on the shipping out of state question. If I get a green light I'll be sure to make the next clutch available for shipping.

Back
Top Bottom