NEED HELP! Baby Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasurf21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone, I hope one of you can help me! I have a 10 gallon tank with 6 neon tetra's and 2 balloon molly's.

This morning when I woke up I found one of the tetra's at the bottom of the tank dead and a little baby fish swimming around.

The other fish were being aggressive to the baby so I moved the baby to a bowl with a bit of the water from the tank in it. Right now the bowl has no filtration. I placed a few flakes which I broke up really tiny for the fish.

What do I do from here; I want the baby to live? I'm also not sure if it's a tetra or molly baby it's really tiny.

Do I get a breeder net and put it in the 10 gallon tank and put the fry in there so it has good water/filtration of my main tank or should I keep it in a separate bowl and what should I feed it??

Thanks everyone help me save the baby :D

Hi Everyone, I hope one of you can help me! I have a 10 gallon tank with 6 neon tetra's and 2 balloon molly's.

This morning when I woke up I found one of the tetra's at the bottom of the tank dead and a little baby fish swimming around.

The other fish were being aggressive to the baby so I moved the baby to a bowl with a bit of the water from the tank in it. Right now the bowl has no filtration. I placed a few flakes which I broke up really tiny for the fish.

What do I do from here; I want the baby to live? I'm also not sure if it's a tetra or molly baby it's really tiny.

Do I get a breeder net and put it in the 10 gallon tank and put the fry in there so it has good water/filtration of my main tank or should I keep it in a separate bowl and what should I feed it??

Thanks everyone help me save the baby :D

That will probably be your best bet. Finely crushed flakes, BBS, golden pearls, first bites, etc. should work fine for feeding. Be careful to not overfeed and to increase your maintenance to account for the additional food.

Welcome to AA and congrats! :)

A breeder net in the 10g is a better option than an unfiltered, unheated bowl. Chances are it's a baby molly. They're infinitely easier to breed than neons. I've kept fry in an acrylic breeder box in the tank until they were large enough to avoid being eaten. A mesh breeder net may be a better choice for water circulation reasons. I've always ground up flakes for my fry.

Back
Top Bottom