Need some advice regarding Molly fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerjohn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Heres a little background. Saturday I moved my 3 Black Mollies and 6 Danios Zebras from a 2.5 gal tank to a 5 gal. I came home today and looked in the 2.5 gal and found a bunch of molly fry. I would like to raise them and don't know much about it. I just need some advice. I already seperated them from the adults so that they don't get eaten. Is there anything else that I need to do. There is a snail in there also. Is that ok? Should I leave the airstone going to keep O2 in the tank or unplug it? Thanks in advance. This forum has great information. 8)

[center:1c340f9096] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, soccerjohn!! :n00b: [/center:1c340f9096]
Should I leave the airstone going to keep O2 in the tank or unplug it?
Leave it. Is there a filter in this tank? If not, an easy filter that I use in smaller tanks is to use a AC sponge, cut an X in it and thread the airstone through.

There is a snail in there also. Is that ok?
Just fine :D
Use finely crushed flake, or Fry Bites, or baby brine shrimp as food.

I'm surprised at how easy it is to raise fry. I haven't raised mollies since I was 12, but I've raised several litters of guppies and platties lately. The only hard part is catching them before they get eaten.

Your next dilemma will be what to do with them. Your 5gal might be a little overcrowded already.

Some people here will suggest feeding fry quite often. Up to 5 times a day. I would suggest two or three at least. You should be all set. Good luck!

No there is no filter. It has the palstic tube towards the back of the tank for O2 and thats it. The fry seem to be swimming fine with the air so thats good. The tank doesn't seem to dirty now but it will. I have some left over filters from another tank that i use to have. Also have the packages of carbon. Thanks for the advice. I will post back later with good news. :wink:

hashbaz said:
Your next dilemma will be what to do with them. Your 5gal might be a little overcrowded already.

Some people here will suggest feeding fry quite often. Up to 5 times a day. I would suggest two or three at least. You should be all set. Good luck!

Well I have them in the 2.5 and will probably add 2 of them to the 5 but I will give the others away to friends and family. I am going to try and buy a bigger tank later but with me getting married in April of 05....money is everything. Thanks for the advice.

I am going to try and buy a bigger tank later but with me getting married in April of 05....money is everything.
When it comes to fish, you may be getting a new tank sooner than you think! My fiance and I are finally getting married in 11 days and we have bought 6 tanks in the pst 8 months :oops: All my wedding stuff I got on eBay :wink:

I wouldn't put a filter in the 2.5 gal--nothing is made for that sized tank. Save yourself some aggravation and just put a sponge for an Aqua Clear filter on the air hose. Don't worry about the carbon, unless you are trying to get rid of meds or chemicals in the water.

Agreed with Menagerie and hashbaz....and don't forget frequent water-changes....they are imperitive to good qnd quick fry growth. I too have about 25 molly fry (dalmation sailfins, in my case), and they are growing at a fantastic rate.

Yea. I have been doing lots of ebay wedding shopping and have found a few things but I have limited space in my room now with these 2 fairly small tanks. I am going to buy a bigger one soon though. Also I am going to change the water tomarrow after work but I have also noticed a fast rate of growth in just 2 days. Its pretty cool. I think one of my other black mollies is about to give birth cuz she is looking a bit bigger than the other 2. The theory on this on is gonna have to be survival of the fittest cuz I have no room for another 15-30 fry. :? But thanks for the positive help and I will report back later.

* One other quick question. What do those tiny ghost shrimp do for the tank? I saw some at the pet store the other night and they were like $.30 a piece and I was wondering what they do? Thanks

They eat left over foods and look cool :wink:. They still add their own waste to the tank and often get eaten by fish in the aquarium.

If you need any wedding money saving advice PM me :D

Back
Top Bottom