Need SOOO Much help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forte

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I work in the disability sector and a nice lady has built us a beautiful tank for our clients and they all love it. She did everything all I have done is picked the fish and put them in, it's been set up for about 3-4 months now. We have live plants and up until last night we had four guppies and 6 platies and one pleco.

I came in this morning to two dead guppies and one dead platy. I have been testing the water as directed every few days. I added two of the guppies on Monday but yesterday I noticed that one of the platys had given birth so I think the tank was just overloaded. I don't have a spare tank to remove the fry to, but I think the stress and the increase in ammonia has caused the adults to die.

I just want to check the advise that the pet shop was correct as I don't want to loose any more fish.

They told me there was nothing I could do now and that the ammonia and nitrates were now fine and a spike can happen and because we have a good set up it will quickly break down. They have given me a different "good bacteria" stuff called quick start, which I assume is the same as the stuff we used in the beginning for a few weeks before adding fish. They have told me to add this every water change and to do a 1/3 water change every 2-3 days to help cycle the water, which I thought was weird since the ammonia and nitrites were fine. They said they have a nursery tank to put my little baby platys in but I have to wait until they are a little bit bigger. I know some of them are already being eaten so I don't know how many I have left.

Sorry for the long post but as I work with people with disabilities it's quite upsetting to loose so many in such a short space of time.

Any advise would be appreciated. Is it worth going out and getting a small tank to use as a nursery for the fry? There's definitely at least 10 that I can find in the tank. And do I need to do more frequent water changes?

If you don't want to buy a nursery tank, you can buy a net mesh fry basket. They are about 5" inches square and hang inside your tank. The baskets attach to the side. just net the babies and put them in the basket. Feed the fry a tiny ground up fish food flake as needed.
As for WC' s I suggest 1x per week. Rinse the filter material out in used tank water once every 2-3 weeks.
Hope this helps.

Thanks! I was just researching the little fry nets and wondering if that was a good idea. It's just not ideal I don't think because my tank is only small, 50 gallons (sorry I work in litres and it's 180l).

I thought that the water changes sounded like over kill.

Thanks for the advise hopefully everything settles and I can get a little nursery tank or use the fry net.

Sorry for newbie questions!

Back
Top Bottom