Neocardinia Shrimp breeding journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well with my wild type neocardinia shrimp population reaching 60+ in my 55g tank and some interesting color variations starting to come out I thought now would be a good time to try to breed some specific color morphs! :)

Here is what I managed to pull out of my heavily planted and very crowded tank in about an hour with uprooting only half a dozen plants in the process :D

75748-albums12930-picture59848.jpg

I am hoping to do at least 2, possibly 3 strains. The red for sure, possibly the green, and maybe the black assuming I can make it work.

The colors are mainly coming out in the third generation of shrimp. I started with a group of random wild type noecardinia shrimp with one female being dark blue / black. I believe most of the colors are showing up from her.

With this showing up in the third generation it means that all of these colors should be recessive genes. Barring the discovery of a similar colored mate to match the ones that I currently have I expect another 2 generations to have the color resurface.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments then please, feel free to share :)

Well after being fairly angry that 19 out of the 28 shrimp that I had caught had escaped my HOB breeding box I decided to stop playing around and pull my wad of moss out and get all the shrimp out from that in 1 go. Well underneath it I finally found my single black female! :) Even better, she is berried so hopefully will have some babies soon that I will definitely know are hers. +1 on the breeding program! :)

75748-albums12930-picture59910.jpg

Ohh she is pretty...so now that you have her are gonna try and breed her to see what you get

She is already about to give birth. So I figure I am going to let her have her babies and then breed her to one of her sons. and then possibly to her grandson.... son. Depending on how well it worked and if she is still alive at that point.

That sounds really weird when I say it like that.. lol

Ohh ok yeah I see the eggs now...and it does sound weird lol...but this will be interesting to see what they look like

I have a fun batch of shrimp like that, had a super awesome bronze chocolate, which I passed on to someone berried as berried could get. I hope she made some awesome babies for them!

I have had white, yellow, green, blue, bluegrey, and dark red, light red, I call them my confetti shrimp. I sold most of them but they have been re populating and now have light brown, almost clear, rose red and orangish red and a few greyblues. If I find any greens or anything interesting I can mail them to you for shipping. I can also get more from my supplier where my first ones came from. I can check for whether he has any greenish or blackish ones too. :flowers:

I would love to play around with that, but don't have any room.

Previously I was growing and trying to get a good population of blues. had a pretty good bunch going and had a mishap and lost about 30 of them.

Got some new blood and it seemed to change up the colors a bit. :)

That would be awesome...and I'm getting some blue velvets on Monday I'm super excited...but I would love some green or black ones like yours

I have a fun batch of shrimp like that, had a super awesome bronze chocolate, which I passed on to someone berried as berried could get. I hope she made some awesome babies for them!

I have had white, yellow, green, blue, bluegrey, and dark red, light red, I call them my confetti shrimp. I sold most of them but they have been re populating and now have light brown, almost clear, rose red and orangish red and a few greyblues. If I find any greens or anything interesting I can mail them to you for shipping. I can also get more from my supplier where my first ones came from. I can check for whether he has any greenish or blackish ones too. :flowers:

I would love to play around with that, but don't have any room.

Previously I was growing and trying to get a good population of blues. had a pretty good bunch going and had a mishap and lost about 30 of them.

Got some new blood and it seemed to change up the colors a bit. :)

That'd be sweet, let me know :)

That would be awesome...and I'm getting some blue velvets on Monday I'm super excited...but I would love some green or black ones like yours

Well keep an eye on this thread I might have some nice black ones after a few generations :)

Just so you know, I checked with the breeder I got my mixed Cherry shrimp from and he won't do any special requests. He does whatever he scoops up for $1.00 each. So there are mainly blue blue-greys and light, med., med-darkish red Cherries. If you have any interest I can PM you additional info and would ship for you in a couple months when it is cooler. No problem if you are fine with what you have.

As for mine, I don't seem to have anything towards the blackish coloring. Mine are mostly blue-ish grey and light to dark rose red cherries right now.

If I see any with the other colors, I will look you up again. They tend to produce different colors every once in awhile. Since I got the new blood, I haven't seen as much variations. I probably sold or traded off the ones that were doing the crazy colors. But they came from the guy noted above, so that's how I wonder about the other crazy color variants/sports. I ask him to keep an eye out anyway too. ;)

Back
Top Bottom