Neon Fish With Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydavis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pink, orange, and green neon my pink one is getting bigger. I was wondering if there is a way to tell male or female? how long will she carry the eggs. I dont even know if I have a male in the bunch. So if anybody has any advice on how to get babies please let me know.

I have never had fish babies and I WANT them.

And i am going to post some pictures of some fish i bought and i cant remember what they are called but I know they give live birth but also have question on those also how can you tell if they are pregnant and how long will they carry babies.

Attachments

• Fish 017.jpg
    Fish 017.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Fish 001.jpg
    Fish 001.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Fish 024.jpg
    Fish 024.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Fish 023.jpg
    Fish 023.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 90
Do you have one of each color? Since the pics are kind of small it is hard to tell but they look like dyed zebra danios, which if they did have babies would probably just be normal zebra danios (or whatever kind of fish they injected the dye into), not the brightly colored fish that you have now. The bottom pic looks like guppies. If you have one bright colored and one dull one them you probably have a male and female and they more than likely will have babies.

BTW, I dont know how long you have had these fish, but if they survive, they will not stay that brilliant color. Google "Dyed fish".

yeah they are zebras i just call them neons orange, pink, and green. So if you can tell do you think the pink neon my be preg. shes big. And can you tell sex in them

and i have i think 2 orange guppies (now that you say guppies i remember) somebody told me males have a straight fin on their bottom side and females dont so how do you tell if they are pregnant beside them getting bigger one looks like it has mush in belly and others dont

what man that sucks their so pretty i have had pink about 2 weeks green about 1 and orange 1 day

I have never had zebras breed so I dont know how to tell. It would probably be tough with them being dyed. I think they would show a gravid (sp.) spot. Usually with guppies the male is brightly colored and the female is plain. I dont know if that is true with all mutations of guppies though. I am sure there is someone on here smarter on this than me. Sorry about the colored ones. I have read alot about how they get them that way. They are either fed colored food when they are fry, which will wear off since they arent eating it any more. Or they are injected with the color with a hypodermic needle and it will stay until their body is able to fight it off and get rid of the dye.

As far as I know on the glo fish they're actually mutated with jellyfish dna or something like that to make them glow.

"GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish were originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants. By adding a natural fluorescence gene to the fish, scientists hoped to one day quickly and easily determine when a waterway is contaminated."

they're not dyed.

Good info Flake. Mutated at the cellular level at no harm to the fish. And if it is prego the offspring will inherit the color! Now, how do you tell if she is prego or just fat? We all know you dont dare ask her how far along she is. (thats asking for trouble) LOL

so spoon are you saying the babies will come out in neon color or are you asking

As far as I know on the glo fish they're actually mutated with jellyfish dna or something like that to make them glow.

"GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish were originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants. By adding a natural fluorescence gene to the fish, scientists hoped to one day quickly and easily determine when a waterway is contaminated."

they're not dyed.
right on. side not they are illegal in some states like cali since their dna has been manipulated. they are also illegal to breed then sell or give away. since its a registered patient trademark what ever you call it. they hold the rights to them.

well i just want to be able to have 1 set of babies just to know i can raise fish babies (its a challenge) so i will say i am going to "keep" all of them that i might have

They will not inherit the colour...that different flourescent genes are transgenes. They have stably intergrated but do not sort the way your own genetic DNA would. Their offspring may or may not inherit the transgene DNA. Successive cell divisions dilute the DNA and it will eventually stop expressing.

yeah they are zebras i just call them neons orange, pink, and green. So if you can tell do you think the pink neon my be preg. shes big. And can you tell sex in them

Zebras don't give live birth, they are egg scatterers. The female and a male or two will roll around in a plant and scatter the eggs. If there is other fish in with them, they will eat the eggs. I don't know how you will be able to tell the sexes apart with dyed fish tho. In regular zebra danios, the females get twice as big and fat (even when not full of eggs) and stay the silver/blue. A male will be smaller and slimmer with more of a gold tint than a silver one.

Here is a video of my Zebras spawning. The very gold one you see in the video is a long finned Leopard danio who got in on the action. Just click on the pic to see the video.

Danio%20Spawn
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...e4eb75c7f270e3c9c7fc82d3765d0.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

When a Guppy female is ready to give birth, their body, right behind the anal fin will turn black (that is actually the fry's eyes) and she will look almost square.

so they dont carry eggs for a certain lenght of time or do they just drop them after so long cause i'm not sure what sex i have and havent seen anything like what is in your video going on which i havent had them long either

may still need time to be sexually mature. a female gets full of eggs then scatters them for the male to fertilize.

Nope, as you can see in that video, the other fish eat the eggs as soon as they are released. I have heard the only way to have success is to fill a small tank with marbles and some java moss, then leave some Danios in for a few days until they spawn, then remove them. They will eat their own eggs too.

Back
Top Bottom