Neon Guppy Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pytroc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have any experience with breeding neon guppies? And so, did you mix them with other patterns? What color variations did you have? Please let me know :D

Attachments

• DSC_0773.jpg
    DSC_0773.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 112
Did you purchase the females out of a tank that had all the same type of females. The same question for the males. With out any other color variations with them?

Did you purchase the females out of a tank that had all the same type of females. The same question for the males. With out any other color variations with them?
Nope, just got her from a casual petshop, so she was in a tank with other guppies. They did have more of these and they look alike. The males are orange and blond with a yellow tail. She's close to having the rest of her fry. I just think the luminous effect is really cool and want more of those, in different variations.

Just looks like a regular guppy to me, they all breed and birth the same lol

The female was in what I call a mutt tank so any color combos are most likely.When I went To feed my ponds this morning It looks like all my females dumped there babies at the same time. Must have at least a thousand fry in each of my ponds.

If the fish is already pregnant the fish would have to be isolated. The fish can give birth at least tree times with out a male in the tank every 30 to 32 days. Only after she stops giving birth can you select a male and try to get a color combo you want. And that isn't even assured!

Check out Moscow Blue Guppies and Japanese Blue Guppies too, if you like the blues.

You can see if any of the fry end up being colored the same as the blue you want, segregate the same colored ones and keep that up for 6 months or so and then they will start breeding with the same colors and eventually you will get more.

Females can give birth for 6 months after being in a tank with a male!

Does anyone have any experience with breeding neon guppies? And so, did you mix them with other patterns? What color variations did you have? Please let me know :D

In general when you buy from a dutch lfs and there are tanks with mix guppies in it and they've come from a wholesale dealer (there are several stores which just purchase random guppies from a local breeder) for sure, then those females came most likely (so, no guarantee that other wholesale dealer haven't mixed them in their tanks) from tanks that weren't mixed to start with. I've been at specific wholesale dealers in Holland and these strains had seperate tanks.
But it's a price technical issue why most dutch lfs's order a mix. They can pay less when it's a mix. When you order a specific strain (male or female), they do cost a bit more. I used to help out an lfs a few years ago and helped purchasing fish.
Another friend of mine who I know for 36 years now is also providing a certain number of dutch wholesale dealers with livebearers (certain guppies and endlers included) and crustaceans for many years now. So, not all fish and crustaceans at the dutch wholesale dealer are ordered in Thailand, Czech republic, Malaysia, Indonesia, Israel, Poland and Japan (these are the most common countries where dutch wholesale dealers order their fish from). And when my friend needs a strain to launch as a new commercial strain, he asks me on a regular bases if I can provide him a shoal out of my own stock or if I can provide him out of my network. I myself am active within the field of rare livebearers (which includes also rare strains of guppies and endlers). Last year for instance, the albino koi guppies were introduced by him as a commercial strain in Holland. He was already asking me a year before. I already knew these guppies from the championships and shows which I've participated the past few years. It just took a while before I could manage it to have a large number of these guppies come over from Germany (good friends of mine and they're also fantastic guppy breeders) to Holland. So, my friend would be able to breed these guppies in large numbers as well to get them on the commercial market in 2016.

But this neon guppy is a commercial strain in Holland. But I do have to say, it's a nice strain though...
I don't know what your goal is with this female. Would you like to mix it or breed the neon strain? In both cases, I would let her drop her fry first and let them grow up. If they turn out the same as the mother than you'll know that it's most likely that the offspring will be both phenotypical and genotypical the same. The offspring will be all virgins and better to work with to accomplish your goal. Trying to crossbreed the mother is tricky for you don't know how much semen packages she has already stored.

Have a great weekend...

In general when you buy from a dutch lfs and there are tanks with mix guppies in it and they've come from a wholesale dealer (there are several stores which just purchase random guppies from a local breeder) for sure, then those females came most likely (so, no guarantee that other wholesale dealer haven't mixed them in their tanks) from tanks that weren't mixed to start with. I've been at specific wholesale dealers in Holland and these strains had seperate tanks.
But it's a price technical issue why most dutch lfs's order a mix. They can pay less when it's a mix. When you order a specific strain (male or female), they do cost a bit more. I used to help out an lfs a few years ago and helped purchasing fish.
Another friend of mine who I know for 36 years now is also providing a certain number of dutch wholesale dealers with livebearers (certain guppies and endlers included) and crustaceans for many years now. So, not all fish and crustaceans at the dutch wholesale dealer are ordered in Thailand, Czech republic, Malaysia, Indonesia, Israel, Poland and Japan (these are the most common countries where dutch wholesale dealers order their fish from). And when my friend needs a strain to launch as a new commercial strain, he asks me on a regular bases if I can provide him a shoal out of my own stock or if I can provide him out of my network. I myself am active within the field of rare livebearers (which includes also rare strains of guppies and endlers). Last year for instance, the albino koi guppies were introduced by him as a commercial strain in Holland. He was already asking me a year before. I already knew these guppies from the championships and shows which I've participated the past few years. It just took a while before I could manage it to have a large number of these guppies come over from Germany (good friends of mine and they're also fantastic guppy breeders) to Holland. So, my friend would be able to breed these guppies in large numbers as well to get them on the commercial market in 2016.

But this neon guppy is a commercial strain in Holland. But I do have to say, it's a nice strain though...
I don't know what your goal is with this female. Would you like to mix it or breed the neon strain? In both cases, I would let her drop her fry first and let them grow up. If they turn out the same as the mother than you'll know that it's most likely that the offspring will be both phenotypical and genotypical the same. The offspring will be all virgins and better to work with to accomplish your goal. Trying to crossbreed the mother is tricky for you don't know how much semen packages she has already stored.

Have a great weekend...
Firstly, thank you for the effort you took to reply. I really appreciate it!:)

I think the petstore just got the guppies from random people, there were like 3 different color and patterns in the tank. Male and female were separated but I have no idea if she was a Virgin when I got her.

Are there dealers in Holland you'd recommend me? I live in Brabant, the South, but am willing to travel. I'm really interested in breeding myself, always been. I'm just new at it and need to learn the basics. I just received my first six fry (1 week old) from 3 different females and 2 males, so I have no idea what they will become. Are there other neonstrains you know?

Once again, thanks for the reply and good weekend to you too!

Check out Moscow Blue Guppies and Japanese Blue Guppies too, if you like the blues.

You can see if any of the fry end up being colored the same as the blue you want, segregate the same colored ones and keep that up for 6 months or so and then they will start breeding with the same colors and eventually you will get more.

Females can give birth for 6 months after being in a tank with a male!
Thanks for the reply!

(Blue is my fav color, so thank you for that eye-candy)

The fry are one week old now. The females are still pregnant though, I can still see little fisheyes. Females and males are separated. Is it normal for them to have over a week between labors? (waterstats are good, I've checked them)

3 females got pregnant from 2 different males so I'm really curious how the fry will look eventually! After that the picking and mixing will begin! I ordered my 3rd tank so the guppies will have enough place (they're my only fish and some shrimps). The leftover fishies will go to the petstore.

Firstly, thank you for the effort you took to reply. I really appreciate it!:)

I think the petstore just got the guppies from random people, there were like 3 different color and patterns in the tank. Male and female were separated but I have no idea if she was a Virgin when I got her.

Are there dealers in Holland you'd recommend me? I live in Brabant, the South, but am willing to travel. I'm really interested in breeding myself, always been. I'm just new at it and need to learn the basics. I just received my first six fry (1 week old) from 3 different females and 2 males, so I have no idea what they will become. Are there other neonstrains you know?

Once again, thanks for the reply and good weekend to you too!

Well, I don't think you'll be able to purchase from a wholesale dealer but for sure there are sufficient dealers not too far from you where you can buy healthy guppies from. For your province I'd recommend Aquabeek in Handel (Gemert district). If you're willing to travel to Gelderland, you could pay a visit to Zoo&Zo (formely known as 't Guppy) in Ede. Utaka in Amersfoort is also a good store but the number of offered guppies differ a lot (so, sometimes there are barely some guppies to find). But they do have real quality fish of all kinds overthere. But the closest to your home will be Aquabeek.

The last sunday of September there will be the Naturaria fair in Antwerp (Belgium). It's an Aquaterra event. So, within the field of terraristics and aquaristics. I guess, that's also a distance which you're able to travel.

Enjoy your sunday,
"S"

Oh, I've just missed out on one question of yours.
There are several kinds of neon fancy guppies. Even certain platinum versions are called neon by commercial trade. By the time that you've progressed within seriously keeping and breeding guppies, you'll notice that commercial trade may use different names than in the real guppy world for the same strains.

Never heard of it! How do you do that?

If you can get a darker female that has colour variations with your golden blonde males you should be able to. You might need to go through the second generation due to recessive/dominant genes but try not to inbreed. I had guppies for about 4 months so I didn't get very far into breeding for specific qualities, but I got close.

Back
Top Bottom