Neon tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcannelis

Aquarium Advice Regular
How do you make them breed and how many should I have for best odds how do you tell the gender

How do you make them breed and how many should I have for best odds how do you tell the gender

Sexing Neons can be tricky especially if they are not larger adults. Males are usually more slender than females and females will be heavier in their mid section when they are gravid with eggs. Another method used is that males have a straight blue line whereas females have a small curve in their blue stripe. As for how many, I tend to use a single pair for each spawning but I know others have used 2 males to 1 female when breeding groups.

The main criteria is very clean, very soft, acidic water (ph 6.4-6.5) at a temp of approx 72-74 degrees. You only need a 5 gal tank to breed them if you are using 1 pair but a larger tank may be necessary if you are doing groups.
Eggs need to be in the dark as they are light sensitive then exposed only to filtered light.

If you cannot create these parameters, chances are poor you will have good results trying to breed them.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks for help

You're welcome. They are not the easiest of fish to breed. Not the hardest, but not the easiest of tetras for sure.

I spent more time learning how to breed them than enjoying watching them swimming around in my tank. Today, I would just get some to watch :D (y)

Wish you good luck (y)

they breed better in low PH but be aware that a low PH is not acceptable to all tropical fish

Back
Top Bottom