Neon tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not very easy IMO- they are generally pretty sensitive to water conditions, so it's hard to even get hem to spawn. Once they do spawn, it's hard to make sure they (or other fish) don't eat their eggs. Then you have to feed the newly hatched fry really tiny foods for a while.

How easy is it to breed neon tetras?

Of all the Tetras now being bred, Neons are not one of the easiest. If you do not have the ability to give them their water specifics for breeding, all the rest is meaningless.
Have you bred any egglayers before?

First I would suggest spwaning at least two other types of easier tetras. Getting them to spawn and salvaging the eggs is a skill and feeding the young is another skill. You just don't pull that kind of skill set off the self or the net for that matter.

Neons require extreme water paramiters. It has been over 20 years, but if I recall the water needs to be very soft and acidic. Additionally, you will need a specially set up spawning tank, lots of info on the net about that. If you can get them to spawn and that is a big if, the young make other tetras look easy. Most tetras you can use green water to get a respectable yeild. The water requirements for the neons to spawn make that a really tricky task. If the water kills off the organisims in the green water, you start all over again.

Like I said, I would try something a bit easier first.

Back
Top Bottom