Neon tetras belly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleky plec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so my female neon tetras belly is slightly bigger than usual. Is she pregnant? She isn't over fed though. It's like her body is more rounded. And when I look at her from above her stomach sticks out from the sides. I also didn't mean to have a good habitat for them to spawn. What is wrong?

She is probably full of eggs. Neon tetras and tetras in general are egg scatterers/layers but thats as much as i know

She can't be pregnant because the eggs don't grow inside her or get fertilised while in there, they get scattered . Shes probably holding eggs . :)

She can't be pregnant because the eggs don't grow inside her or get fertilised while in there, they get scattered . Shes probably holding eggs . :)

+1. HOWEVER she also could be bloated. The way to know is if she is having eliminations (a.k.a. pooping :D) If she is, she's not bloated. The fullness just means that she is old enough to be carrying eggs. This happens when fish mature so it's not like you created a perfect spawning area for this fish so she grew eggs. She could go the rest of her life without spawning and just carrying the eggs. The good news with this is that you have kept your fish healthy enough to produce these eggs. (y)

Just so that you know, the only fish that can get pregnant are the livebearers (Guppies, Platys, Swordtails, Mollies, etc.) The rest just have eggs which need to be fertilized, outside the body, by a male of a similar specie (with some exceptions) if they are to produce young. ;) Just a little FYI that should help you as you go along in the hobby.

Hope this helps...(y)

Andy Sager said:
+1. HOWEVER she also could be bloated. The way to know is if she is having eliminations (a.k.a. pooping :D) If she is, she's not bloated. The fullness just means that she is old enough to be carrying eggs. This happens when fish mature so it's not like you created a perfect spawning area for this fish so she grew eggs. She could go the rest of her life without spawning and just carrying the eggs. The good news with this is that you have kept your fish healthy enough to produce these eggs. (y)

Just so that you know, the only fish that can get pregnant are the livebearers (Guppies, Platys, Swordtails, Mollies, etc.) The rest just have eggs which need to be fertilized, outside the body, by a male of a similar specie (with some exceptions) if they are to produce young. ;) Just a little FYI that should help you as you go along in the hobby.

Hope this helps...(y)

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom