I need some advice on breeding nerite snails. I haven't bought them yet, because I only am interested in buying snails/inverts that I feel knowledgeable enough to breed. My way to stay cheap and not have to keep rebuying shrimp, snails, and small fish like guppies when they get old. Heh heh.
I've been really successful with mystery snail breeding, but honestly with them, it's not like I've been trying, they just give me babies every other month. XD
I've read many different forums that say you have to breed them in brackish water, then you have to transfer the babies to saltwater, and then you have to transfer them to freshwater or back to brackish. There are other forums that say no, I don't have to do any of that as long as they are in brackish when they are born. My questions are:
1. Do I really have to have move the babies to pure saltwater to get them to survive?
2. Have any of you been successful with breeding them on a constant basis?
3. When breeding them, is there a way to have an educated guess as to the snails sex? Does this even matter? Asexual?
4. What temperatures have you used?
5. How much salt should I use in a 10 gallon tank to breed them? 5 gallon tank?
6. Is a 5 gallon tank too small to breed snails in? (I've only ever used 10 gallons for breeding shrimp and such before moving them to my larger tanks, but I have limited space for tanks in my apt, soooo 5 gallon would be ideal but I obviously don't want to cramp them. They would be moved to my larger tanks after about a week, so keep in mind, once born, the tank wouldn't stay too full for very long.
7. How long until I can move the newly hatched baby snails to freshwater?
8. Any tips, website links, etc to the breeding of nerite snails would be VERY appreciated.
Thanks so much!!!