New Anglefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishforlife

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any chance I might get a pair out of 4 leopard angle fish? I just bought 4 and they're in a 5.5 gallon (temporary) since I just move to a new aprt I'm waiting for the manager to approve the fish. If she dose I'm gonna get my 30 gallon and put them in. When will they mature? Do I have to wait when they mature to tell who's male or female? Picture below

Attachments

• image-2339587383.jpg
    image-2339587383.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 84
  • image-485557038.jpg
    image-485557038.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3874021985.jpg
    image-3874021985.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 89
It's a good possibility, in at least a 50 gallon tank

A 29 gallon is the absolute minimum, needless to say four
By the way beautiful Angels!

Thanks I saw a jumbo angelfish at the store there was a male and female but the thing is that they cost like 23$ each. I wanted to get it but they cost too much. I have a 70 gallon but its just way too long to be in the aprt

I'm waiting for the manager to approve if she dose ill put them in the 30 gallon for now and I'll take a picture of it also when I can.

30g is the minimum for one. You should really get a 55g for four. They will all have a stunted growth in the 30g and most probably won't reproduce.:)

if im rite the leopolds are like minature angels. if they pair off soon u will be ok. rehome the others after u get a pair. i use 20s and 30 for breeding all the time. i eaven seen some people breed in 10s. yes angels do require a lot more room but it depends on how many you keep .

Any chance I might get a pair out of 4 leopard angle fish? I just bought 4 and they're in a 5.5 gallon (temporary) since I just move to a new aprt I'm waiting for the manager to approve the fish. If she dose I'm gonna get my 30 gallon and put them in. When will they mature? Do I have to wait when they mature to tell who's male or female? Picture below

To answer your questions: Angelfish can start breeding at about 8 months old. Until they reach close to that age, sexing them will be sketchy at best. If your fish fit into a 5.5 tank, they will need at least another 6 months or more of growing before they reach 8 months old.
The only guaranteed way of sexing them is by watching who lays eggs and who fertilizes. The ones laying eggs are the females :D
To answer your first question, let me ask you this, if you have 10 or even 100 fish and they are all the same gender, will you get a pair? Obviously not. How many fish you have does not increase your chances of pairs. ;) At this point, I'd just enjoy the fish and IF you have both sexes and they pair off, then you can go to the next step. (y) If you want to better your chances of getting pairs, you should really get larger fish. This will increase your chances of getting opposite sexes as there are some external signs on larger fish that sometimes gives their gender away. ;)
There is a thread under the breeding forum titled "Wigglers at last" which talks all about breeding and raising Angelfish. You might want to read through it to see if you even really want to breed these fish.

As for tank size, I just had a pair of fish pair off in a 30 gal amongst 8 other Angels. Larger tanks are better to give the OTHER fish a chance to get away from pairs but they are not a necessity for growing them up for pairing. I remove pairs to their own tanks as soon as I see them pairing off. And for the record, I use 10 and 15 gal tanks for breeding so a 30 gal for 1 Angel is a bit overboard in my opinion. :whistle:

Hope this helps (y)

picture your self being stuck in a 55 gallon barrel all your life . do you think you would grow to proper size and health.. same for fish they need proper room to move and grow or they will be stunted and small. sory not being rude just honest.

picture your self being stuck in a 55 gallon barrel all your life . do you think you would grow to proper size and health.. same for fish they need proper room to move and grow or they will be stunted and small. sory not being rude just honest.
+1 all the way. (I usually compare living in a closet but a barrel serves the same purpose :brows:) In this case, size does matter (y)

Back
Top Bottom