New Babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was able to catch three baby Red Wag Platies from my tank last night! Just wanted to share, I will see if any of them come out in the picture I am about to take. :)

Here are two! You may not be able to see them though, LOL!

Attachments

• image-1535342398.jpg
    image-1535342398.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 105
There must be more, unless the parents ate them! Be sure to separate them as soon as you find them! You can feed them finely crushed flakes/pellets that you feed to adults, just make sure you crush them finely. best of luck with your fish!

Yep, thank you both. I bet there were more than 3, but I could only find 3, :(. I bet the rest were eaten. They are in a breeder net now.

:-( I know how you feel... My new Silver Lyretail Molly gave birth and I missed it completely!! Go up in the morning and she was lean and not a sign of ANY babies...

Well, don't worry even if you don't find the other babies. Since this is the first batch of fry, MORE will come. Platies have a gestation period of about one month, so remember the date and one month later you WILL have more fry, because the female can save sperm. Put her in the breeder net / box around this time, or in a separated tank/container. Best of luck!

Henri said:
Well, don't worry even if you don't find the other babies. Since this is the first batch of fry, MORE will come. Platies have a gestation period of about one month, so remember the date and one month later you WILL have more fry, because the female can save sperm. Put her in the breeder net / box around this time, or in a separated tank/container. Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice! I didn't know about how often they had their babies.

ocminpin said:
:-( I know how you feel... My new Silver Lyretail Molly gave birth and I missed it completely!! Go up in the morning and she was lean and not a sign of ANY babies...

Sorry about that, that must be a real bummer, you will have more fry in no time though!

I just hope my treating my tank (and them) for camallanus worms with fenbendazole in their food and parasite guard in the tank didn't kill off their pregnancy cycles completely... I'm imagining their babies and any stored sperm will be killed off.
They weren't visibly affected but I had to treat the entire tank...
**sigh**

ocminpin said:
I just hope my treating my tank (and them) for camallanus worms with fenbendazole in their food and parasite guard in the tank didn't kill off their pregnancy cycles completely... I'm imagining their babies and any stored sperm will be killed off.
They weren't visibly affected but I had to treat the entire tank...
**sigh**

That is ok, you were doing what was best for your tank. :)

Also, the Molly looks very nice that is in your avatar. I hope to have/breed Mollies someday! Very cool fish!

My little icon is Maggi my Molly of my first batch of babies... I got 43 out of her and 10 undeveloped eggs...
The babies are 5 wks old.. Born on sept 9th :)

ocminpin said:
My little icon is Maggi my Molly of my first batch of babies... I got 43 out of her and 10 undeveloped eggs...
The babies are 5 wks old.. Born on sept 9th :)

Very cool, sounds like a successful breeding attempt!

Wow, that just have been a nice surprise! How do you tell them apart? Is it the same as Platies?

No surprise... Could see she was pregnant when I got get which is why i chose her :)
I didn't know anything about squaring until I got her then read up on birth of live bearers, etc.
Since have had several give birth... It's fun :)

Now their spots are in can tell some apart but I have 80+/- babies in my 10 gallon... Sounds like a lot, but looks are deceiving... They're all over swimming around.. Can't wait to be able to sex them...

Back
Top Bottom