New BN pleco eggs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DallasFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I have bn pleco eggs! I got a pair of them a month or two ago and set up some nice terra cotta pots just in case they got along. Nothing, they ignored the pots totally.

Then, I noticed that the male "Captain Whiskers" is spending his time way up inside this small Chinese pagoda decoration I have. So I lift it up and turn it over, and lo and behold there's an set of eggs and Dad is guarding them.

So, I may have baby BN's soon. We'll see if they can outrun the angelfish...

Once dad lets them leave the cave, you better hope they can find good hiding places with that angel in there. In your situation I would move the decoration and the father to a separate tank.

I put in an upside-down tulip-shaped flower pot. It has small scallop-shaped holes that small fish could easily swim into, but not big enough for angels. It also has a hole in the top that I can drop bits of algae wafers into. Hopefully the fry will migrate there as they emerge.

Yes, there is something very attractive about baby plecos. I think it's the way they move-very hoppy and jumpy. The easiest thing to do is to put in a TON of plants (real or fake) and hope for the best, and overfeed the tank a little. They won't all survive, but you'll probably get a few that grow to non-eatable size.

I put in an upside-down tulip-shaped flower pot. It has small scallop-shaped holes that small fish could easily swim into, but not big enough for angles. It also has a hole in the top that I can drop bits of algae wafers into. Hopefully the fry will migrate there as they emerge.

How many hiding places are there in the tank? Do you have a lot of plants and some driftwood? Driftwood is a necessary ingredient in a balanced bristlenose pleco diet.

How many hiding places are there in the tank? Do you have a lot of plants and some driftwood? Driftwood is a necessary ingredient in a balanced bristlenose pleco diet.

I do have plants and several driftwood pieces.

Dad's still flapping away...

Back
Top Bottom