New Endlers Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian1357

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have kept fish way back . But now plan to start a 20 gallon long low tec planted tank. I aim to do a fish less cycle and try to get the plants established. Then introduce a small n class breeding colony.
Any advice
Cheers
Ian

I've never kept endlers but would like to follow along all the same

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get some elodea, grows quick and makes good cover for fry. Hornwort, Java moss, water sprite, and water wisteria work as well.

I've been breeding Endlers for years. They're a pretty straightforward livebearer in terms of care. Plants are nice but Endlers don't eat their fry. Just make sure to get at least a 1M/2F ratio as the males are rather relentless.

They don't eat their fry? I know what I'm adding to my breeding collection!

I suppose if they were starving they would but in general, no.

They're quite active without being agressive, although like I mentioned the males can be relentless towards the females. Females are larger than males and are essentially brown.

Update

Just got the tank, lights and filter today. Going to get some rock in the next few days. Should be wet by middle of next week.

Nice! Are you getting the fish locally or online?

One suggestion I'd make is floating plants of some sort. Feeding time can get crazy, both adults and fry, so the plants help break that up.

Nice! Are you getting the fish locally or online?

One suggestion I'd make is floating plants of some sort. Feeding time can get crazy, both adults and fry, so the plants help break that up.

My local store says he can get me some. However I would like to get some from him and some from a different supplier to diversify the gene pool.
What floating plants would you recommend?

My local store says he can get me some. However I would like to get some from him and some from a different supplier to diversify the gene pool.
What floating plants would you recommend?

I have dwarf water lettuce in my Endlers tank but there are quite a few you can choose from depending on what you like. In one of my smaller tanks I use najas, another has dwarf baby tears.

Looking forward to seeing both your tank and fish!

I have dwarf water lettuce in my Endlers tank but there are quite a few you can choose from depending on what you like. In one of my smaller tanks I use najas, another has dwarf baby tears.

Looking forward to seeing both your tank and fish!

Like the look of the dwarf baby tears. Do you use co2? If not which fertilizers?
Will try and post pictures when I have some more rocks and I get my sleeves wet.

Lots of endlers on Aquabid. I go there and look for ideas or to see what's available and then ask the lfs what they can order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Like the look of the dwarf baby tears. Do you use co2? If not which fertilizers?
Will try and post pictures when I have some more rocks and I get my sleeves wet.

No co2 here. I use Excel, Leaf Zone, and Flourish once or twice a week.

Have now got rock. Painted the back of the tank. Got the substrate. Got some ammonia. Got me a test kit. So a lot later than planed I hope to have water in the tank. Going to get some plants mid week I hope. I will post a picture when I have set up.

Back
Top Bottom