New fry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reaper216

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was checking out my fish and noticed something up by my hob filter.

My very first fry! Just 2 of the little guys, I guess the others were eaten?

Either way, Im very excited for the new members of the fishy family

I would add pictures but the camera on my phone cant get a clear picture at the moment

Oh sorry! Mollys.

I was so sure one of my dalmation girls was the mother but the fry are both orange, so I guess the one of the creamsicles is the proud new parent!

I actually have a breeder box. It hangs on the back of the tank. It reminds my of a hob filter. Not as strong but theres nice water circulation and keeps the fry separate. I put a couple of plants in there so they have something to hide in to reduce/prevent stress.

Im going to crush up some flake food really small for them, and I've read that an algae wafer crushed up is good for them also.

So I just added some gravel into the box just to make it a little more homey.

They went nuts for the crushed up wafer, but not so much for the flake food. Gonna crush up some blood worms tomorrow and see if they like that.

Any tips?

So I just added some gravel into the box just to make it a little more homey. They went nuts for the crushed up wafer, but not so much for the flake food. Gonna crush up some blood worms tomorrow and see if they like that. Any tips?

Sounds like you got everything set pretty good. I have heard that the freeze dried bloodworms aren't good for fry. I think it's because they can swallow air bubbles with the food, or something like that. If you wet it a little and then mashed it up with your fingers I'm sure it would be fine.

Another tip is good clean water.

Good luck with the fry. :)

Thats why I like this breeder box. The other ones just sit in the tank, but this sits outside and circulates the water constantly.

Now I read somewhere that you shouldnt let the bloodworms touch your skin because it can cause an allergic reaction. I've been too worried to try yet lol
My plan was to get a cheap mortar and pestle to grind the food almost into a powder. At least for the first week or so. I have 3 other pregnant mollies so I want to get this down pat heh.

I might even get the larger size breeder box, or turn an extra filter into one. The box I have now is clear, will the sides of a filter being opaque present any problems?

Thanks!

Thats why I like this breeder box. The other ones just sit in the tank, but this sits outside and circulates the water constantly. Now I read somewhere that you shouldnt let the bloodworms touch your skin because it can cause an allergic reaction. I've been too worried to try yet lol My plan was to get a cheap mortar and pestle to grind the food almost into a powder. At least for the first week or so. I have 3 other pregnant mollies so I want to get this down pat heh. I might even get the larger size breeder box, or turn an extra filter into one. The box I have now is clear, will the sides of a filter being opaque present any problems? Thanks!

I have thoughts the blood worms and I didn't have any reaction. I guess it is possible just like being allergic to peanuts. It's probably pretty rare.

If you have a bunch of fry, you may want a bigger box, but it's probably not necessary. I use the one made out of a net with tiny holes. It allows waste to fall out of it. I wouldn't worry about a new one though.

I have thoughts the blood worms and I didn't have any reaction. I guess it is possible just like being allergic to peanuts. It's probably pretty rare. If you have a bunch of fry, you may want a bigger box, but it's probably not necessary. I use the one made out of a net with tiny holes. It allows waste to fall out of it. I wouldn't worry about a new one though.

I have no clue why, but when I read your "you may want a bigger box" all I could think of was Jaws... "We're gonna need a bigger boat!" Ha ha ha

But really, I wouldn't stress too much about what you're feeding then and stuff. I've had tons of guppy fry survive while in the main tank with other guppies. & generally diet wasn't even catered towards them. I think you're already doing a great job!

I have no clue why, but when I read your "you may want a bigger box" all I could think of was Jaws... "We're gonna need a bigger boat!" Ha ha ha But really, I wouldn't stress too much about what you're feeding then and stuff. I've had tons of guppy fry survive while in the main tank with other guppies. & generally diet wasn't even catered towards them. I think you're already doing a great job!

Haha that's funny.

I agree, and if they didn't even want to use the box they could. Then try know that only the strongest survive.

Haha that's funny.

I agree, and if they didn't even want to use the box they could. Then try know that only the strongest survive.

That's why I leave mine in the tank..only a few survive but they are the strong fish, makes better fish down the line.

I would have left them in the tank but there was only 2 (I thought) and they are my first borns lol.

As far as being just 2, I was just cleaning my canister filter and at the bottom swimming around was a third little guy!

I also just noticed a new little baby snail but he jumped off the glass and hes so tiny I havent seen him since hah

Back
Top Bottom