New Guppy Fry! Surprise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CoryFan said:
Oh, I'm glad you did! :)
I was worried about ammonia poisoning. Maybe (1) your cycling is still in progress, (2) you had food going to waste in there, or (3) your filter shut off at some point and affected your bacteria levels.

I think it could be food waste cuz I have had this tank cycled for like a year already, and my filter is on an working. But still everytime I do a water change I always vacuum the bottom for waste and try to get it all out. Its weird, iv never had this problem before. This morning again it happened and I didn't even feed them last night because I didn't want the ammonia to go up. The fish are not swimming at the top yet like yesterday but they are still breathing rapidly. Is there anything I can get to fix this? Or to at least keep my poor fishes from stressing themselves to death? I want to prepare before or it even gets to that point.

Hmmm. What kind of substrate & filtration do you have? What size is your tank? (and) what is your stock list?

How much water do you change each time, and how often do you change it?

CoryFan said:
Hmmm. What kind of substrate & filtration do you have? What size is your tank? (and) what is your stock list?

How much water do you change each time, and how often do you change it?

I have FloraMax substrate for my plants, and a Aqueon power filter. It's a 30 gallon with 2 dwarf Gourami's, 3 guppies, a panda garra, and a mystery snail. As for water changes I do about a good 25/30% water changes every week, on Fridays. Lately though because of this iv done like 3 this week already.

snajera7 said:
I have FloraMax substrate for my plants, and a Aqueon power filter. It's a 30 gallon with 2 dwarf Gourami's, 3 guppies, a panda garra, and a mystery snail. As for water changes I do about a good 25/30% water changes every week, on Fridays. Lately though because of this iv done like 3 this week already.

That sounds great! I am really confused. You said you vacuum when you change the water. You haven't greatly increased the bioload, right?

In the interest of acting quickly, maybe you should post under freshwater general about ammonia spikes... Or under unhealthy fish. It will get more attention there.

My females get lethargic and hug the top when birthing sometimes (guppies).

CoryFan said:
That sounds great! I am really confused. You said you vacuum when you change the water. You haven't greatly increased the bioload, right?

In the interest of acting quickly, maybe you should post under freshwater general about ammonia spikes... Or under unhealthy fish. It will get more attention there.

My females get lethargic and hug the top when birthing sometimes (guppies).

Yeah I have a lil mini vacuum from a 5 gallon quarantine tank, that I use to try and take any excess waste out. Those Gourami's produce so much waste that gets all over everything, so I try and clean it out abit when it builds up. I don't think I increased it well not to much, I just put in 3 guppies like 4 days ago. How much bioload can guppies cause?

Yeah the two females seem to like to stay close to the top but iv been watching them closely and I haven't seen anymore fry come out.

I'll keep doing mini water changes until things get back to normal (Hopefully) and keep an eye on everything. If it keeps up I think I'll go to my fish store and talk to the guy there an see what he might think I should do.

Well thanks for all your help, I really appreciated the comments.

I Have A Male Guppy Like That Very Beatiful Aint They. Good Like With Your Fry. I'm Expecting Fry Carnt Wait.

Back
Top Bottom