New Guppy Fry! Surprise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snajera7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I literally just got 2 female guppies and 1 male guppy 2 days ago at my local pet store, and this morning I found 4 little babies swimming around. I had my suspicions when I seen the 2 females bellies. They were really round when I got them but I don't know how they ended up pregnant and have delivered in just 2 days, that's crazy. I read that it takes up to 12 days for the fry to be born. The females must have been pregnant when I got them. The weird thing is, is that the females and males are separated at the store, how the heck did they get knocked up? Lol

Now I was doing some research on things to feed these little guys and I read something that said I can boil an egg an mash it up an put a tiny bit in the tank an they will eat that. Has anyone tried this? Is it safe?

Attachments

• image-3463616097.jpg
    image-3463616097.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 62
  • image-1222526020.jpg
    image-1222526020.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3060709721.jpg
    image-3060709721.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 71
snajera7 said:
I literally just got 2 female guppies and 1 male guppy 2 days ago at my local pet store, and this morning I found 4 little babies swimming around. I had my suspicions when I seen the 2 females bellies. They were really round when I got them but I don't know how they ended up pregnant and have delivered in just 2 days, that's crazy. I read that it takes up to 12 days for the fry to be born. The females must have been pregnant when I got them. The weird thing is, is that the females and males are separated at the store, how the heck did they get knocked up? Lol

Now I was doing some research on things to feed these little guys and I read something that said I can boil an egg an mash it up an put a tiny bit in the tank an they will eat that. Has anyone tried this? Is it safe?

Hm that's weird since they are separated but boiling an egg the. Getting yolk the mashing it up to a powder is just a substitute for other stuff ( I figured it out and peps told me on here) I did once but man does it smell!! It goes bad quickly! I wouldn't do it I would just do crushed up powdered flake food. They do eat their young!

Put some regular fish flake in a ziploc bag and crush it up as fine as possible. Then you can dip a toothpick into the tank water, into the crushed flakes, and back into the tank again. Feed three or four times a day.

Fishie said:
Hm that's weird since they are separated but boiling an egg the. Getting yolk the mashing it up to a powder is just a substitute for other stuff ( I figured it out and peps told me on here) I did once but man does it smell!! It goes bad quickly! I wouldn't do it I would just do crushed up powdered flake food. They do eat their young!

Yeah I think I'm going to stick to just crushing up the flakes for now until I know for sure about the egg. I wonder why they eat their babies, I only found 4 so it's safe to say if they had others that they didn't make it sadly. I took them out of the tank and have them in a plastic bowl just for right now. I don't want them to get eaten so I'm going to petsmart today to get that net thing for them.

Thanks for the comment :)

Sisserydoo said:
Put some regular fish flake in a ziploc bag and crush it up as fine as possible. Then you can dip a toothpick into the tank water, into the crushed flakes, and back into the tank again. Feed three or four times a day.

Oh ok, that sounds easy, I was just going to crush it with my fingers. I didn't even think about useing a ziploc bag. Thanks for the help! :)

snajera7 said:
Yeah I think I'm going to stick to just crushing up the flakes for now until I know for sure about the egg. I wonder why they eat their babies, I only found 4 so it's safe to say if they had others that they didn't make it sadly. I took them out of the tank and have them in a plastic bowl just for right now. I don't want them to get eaten so I'm going to petsmart today to get that net thing for them.

Thanks for the comment :)

Welcome!! I do the toothpick trick because it can stick to your finger and toothpick gives right amt. Most guppys have batches of fry every 4 weeks 4 times or less . The batches get smaller as she gets to her last batch. I got a whole tank for mine because I have so many!!

Fishie said:
Welcome!! I do the toothpick trick because it can stick to your finger and toothpick gives right amt. Most guppys have batches of fry every 4 weeks 4 times or less . The batches get smaller as she gets to her last batch. I got a whole tank for mine because I have so many!!

Lol really?! Wow well I better start planning for more room soon. Oh I have another question, is it normal for the females after giving birth or when there about to give birth to have a slight yellowish color near their birthing area? Because both females, not the male have that. Also (sorry if these are alot of questions) do you think I should put the females in the breeder net box thing to separate them from the male an to finish (if not already) having the rest to the fry? Or will they just eat them all?

snajera7 said:
Lol really?! Wow well I better start planning for more room soon. Oh I have another question, is it normal for the females after giving birth or when there about to give birth to have a slight yellowish color near their birthing area? Because both females, not the male have that. Also (sorry if these are alot of questions) do you think I should put the females in the breeder net box thing to separate them from the male an to finish (if not already) having the rest to the fry? Or will they just eat them all?

I love helping otherwise I wouldn't be on here ! They usual have a black spot called a gravid spot near their birthing area or anal fin. I don't know about the yellow color though hmmf. It will take 2-3 weeks before the fry won't be eaten or try to be. You could put her in breeders net to see if she is done or not. But seprate fry for at least 2-3 week so they won't be eaten.

Fishie said:
I love helping otherwise I wouldn't be on here ! They usual have a black spot called a gravid spot near their birthing area or anal fin. I don't know about the yellow color though hmmf. It will take 2-3 weeks before the fry won't be eaten or try to be. You could put her in breeders net to see if she is done or not. But seprate fry for at least 2-3 week so they won't be eaten.

Thank you much again, you are very helpful! Yeah that yellowish color is weird, I was thinking to if it could be like irritation cuz the male (he has no shame) wont stop trying to mate with them even though both are already pregnant and having babies lol. He won't leave them alone. I'll try putting the females in an maybe just let them relax away from the male for a bit an see how that goes.

snajera7 said:
Thank you much again, you are very helpful! Yeah that yellowish color is weird, I was thinking to if it could be like irritation cuz the male (he has no shame) wont stop trying to mate with them even though both are already pregnant and having babies lol. He won't leave them alone. I'll try putting the females in an maybe just let them relax away from the male for a bit an see how that goes.

That's funny but go one and try to seprate them. Also black spot:

Fishie said:
That's funny but go one and try to seprate them. Also black spot:

Well that's easy to see on this guppy, I wish mine were like that lol. The 2 girls have black tails an the bottom or their tummies so it's hard for me to see the spot.

Hi
When she's not pregnant, her gravid spots will be a peach color. Maybe that is the yellowish area you're seeing!
Female guppies can store sperm.

snajera7 said:
Well that's easy to see on this guppy, I wish mine were like that lol. The 2 girls have black tails an the bottom or their tummies so it's hard for me to see the spot.

Oh it may take awhile to devolop the spot. But Cory is right they do store sperm so that why they have batches of babys.

CoryFan said:
Hi
When she's not pregnant, her gravid spots will be a peach color. Maybe that is the yellowish area you're seeing!
Female guppies can store sperm.

The area isn't like a spot though, it covers the whole lower half of the females body. An the two just a few min ago had a few more fry so they were still pregnant with that yellowish color. I hope it goes away and doesn't effect them.

Really well then that might explane it, I didn't know they could store sperm. I'm glad I know now, thanks for the help :)

Fishie said:
Oh it may take awhile to devolop the spot. But Cory is right they do store sperm so that why they have batches of babys.

Yeah I didn't know that they could do that. That's probly why they ended up having fry then. Man this site and the people here are seriously helpful. I wish I knew about this when I first started out with freshwater aquariums. would have saved me alot of time and money lol.

snajera7 said:
Yeah I didn't know that they could do that. That's probly why they ended up having fry then. Man this site and the people here are seriously helpful. I wish I knew about this when I first started out with freshwater aquariums. would have saved me alot of time and money lol.

Yea this site is helpful :) lol sorry I didn't say anything sooner!!

Fishie said:
Yea this site is helpful :) lol sorry I didn't say anything sooner!!

:) it's no problem, you helped me out alot today! You helped me out way better than google. Google tends to depress me lol.

snajera7 said:
The area isn't like a spot though, it covers the whole lower half of the females body. An the two just a few min ago had a few more fry so they were still pregnant with that yellowish color. I hope it goes away and doesn't effect them.

Really well then that might explane it, I didn't know they could store sperm. I'm glad I know now, thanks for the help :)

You're welcome. I hope they are all right! How are your water parameters?

CoryFan said:
You're welcome. I hope they are all right! How are your water parameters?

The water was perfect this morning but I just had a spike of some kind. My poor guppies became stressed and were breathing rapidly at the top of the tank, I had tested the ammonia an it was alittle high but just a little bit from normal, not enough to cause that. I'm not really sure what it was but I quickly did a water change and within a few min the water went back to normal, I did a fishy count and everyone is there including the 4 lil babies. I must have caught it early, thank goodness :)

snajera7 said:
The water was perfect this morning but I just had a spike of some kind. My poor guppies became stressed and were breathing rapidly at the top of the tank, I had tested the ammonia an it was alittle high but just a little bit from normal, not enough to cause that. I'm not really sure what it was but I quickly did a water change and within a few min the water went back to normal, I did a fishy count and everyone is there including the 4 lil babies. I must have caught it early, thank goodness :)

Oh, I'm glad you did! :)
I was worried about ammonia poisoning. Maybe (1) your cycling is still in progress, (2) you had food going to waste in there, or (3) your filter shut off at some point and affected your bacteria levels.

Back
Top Bottom