New pair spwaned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Fisher

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So this past saturday I was at my LFS and saw this little Koi sitting in the rehab tank. Someone had brought it in due to fin nipping. I picked it up and brought it home since I have a track record of rehabing fish and taking them back for store credit. I put it in a bowfront tank with one of my silver angels and well today they spawned. :dance:

1FWnANU.jpg

I had hopes they would pair up but never in a million years thought they would and spawn in under a week. The silver one had been with another silver it's size for several months in one of my 55 gallon tanks and nothing ever happened.

I have my doubts on the eggs making it but at least I know now if I throw in a slate they should use it.

Seems with all species, the ones you save are the most appreciative.

Very true, the little guy was in bad shape Saturday and didn't start eating until Monday. A few days of great water and good food has made a huge difference. These two also seem real interested in their eggs opposed to my gold pair who just lay them and swim away. Who knows maybe they will parent raise.

Well tomorrow is day four and they haven't eaten all the eggs. Really hoping to see some wigglers tomorrow or the next day. Here's a short video of them hamming it up for the camera.

Silver angels are reported to be good parents so hopefully it wasn't a total loss.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Awesome! People attempt this all the time with no luck and you get it in one week. Nice looking fish too.

Awesome! People attempt this all the time with no luck and you get it in one week. Nice looking fish too.

Thanks, Andy proclaimed the zebra to be a female and was right. My picking up the male Koi was luck of the draw. The fast spawning I'd like to attribute to excellent water quality and a good conditioning food. I feed beefheart flakes and it seems to be working well. I highly recommend the food from Hydro's Aquatics real good stuff and reasonable prices.

Well the wigglers are begining to free swim and the female is doing an awesome job of tending to them. I am really surprised at how good she is doing.

Just a little update. They fry are all free swimming and growing well. Mom fish does NOT like the net coming in with the brine shrimp. I have to distract here to one side of the tank and drop the net in a hurry.

The male s doing real well, his tail fins are about all grown back now.

So now it's a waiting game to see what their offspring look like.

Well it's been a little while and the fry turned out great. They ended up being a bunch of clowns and a couple half blacks.

MzHPKI8.jpg

DpH3aVN.jpg

Few more weeks and it's off to the LFS for them.

Nice looking fish. I'd save the 1/2 blacks as good ones are hard to find and more expensive as well. My 1/2 Blacks are turning into real SOBs. The one doesn't spawn and beats up the female and the other is getting beaten up by another female after he tried to beat her up when I put them together. Raising them together and letting them pair off naturally might solve a lot of those issues. (y)

Nice looking fish. I'd save the 1/2 blacks as good ones are hard to find and more expensive as well. My 1/2 Blacks are turning into real SOBs. The one doesn't spawn and beats up the female and the other is getting beaten up by another female after he tried to beat her up when I put them together. Raising them together and letting them pair off naturally might solve a lot of those issues. (y)

Thanks Andy. I am seriously considering it. There's only a few of them So I'll see how many for sure when I bag them up.

I saw you were having a devil of a time with yours. I've been super lucky in only having one pair so far that were uncooperative. That gold pair I have are really big bullys and honestly the most boring non personality having fish I own. Only upside to them is their offspring.

The pair in this thread have been amazing the whole way through. I gave them some BS tonight as a treat and they loved it. I really love how they are the "set it and forget it" type of parents.

My hopeful next pair a black zebra and black clown veil pair. They are a lot like these in they looked rough when I picked them up from the LFS and are doing well now. Time will tell as to them being a viable pair.

I also went by the LFS today to see how sales of my last batch went. All were gone except for 3 or so and one ha started to express pearlscale which blew my mind. I'm ready for spring so I can sell some resale.

How exciting! It's refreshing to see the offspring with their parents as they grow up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom