New Plan!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MU-fishies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so I've been told that I don't have the correct tank size for the amount of fish I have. I called Wal-mart, but there was no answer. I basically plan to return the fish I have if I can, then buy guppies and a 5g tank. I've also been told that it's 1 male to 2-3 females. Wal-mart also has the breeding net thing, so I can use that too. All I have to find out is if they will take the fry. So I will have 4 fish and a snail again. Problem is, I know how to tell a male from a female, but I can't find a store that sells females. Wal-mart is the closest thing I have and all they say is "Male Fancy Only." Where would one find female guppies?

MU-fishies said:
Okay, so I've been told that I don't have the correct tank size for the amount of fish I have. I called Wal-mart, but there was no answer. I basically plan to return the fish I have if I can, then buy guppies and a 5g tank. I've also been told that it's 1 male to 2-3 females. Wal-mart also has the breeding net thing, so I can use that too. All I have to find out is if they will take the fry. So I will have 4 fish and a snail again. Problem is, I know how to tell a male from a female, but I can't find a store that sells females. Wal-mart is the closest thing I have and all they say is "Male Fancy Only." Where would one find female guppies?

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to he the bearer of bad news. :( IMO (in my opinion) you need a 10g minimum to breed guppies. Even if you start off with a very small number within a month you could gave 10s if not 100s of fry and a 5g simply isn't big enough to house them.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to he the bearer of bad news. :( IMO (in my opinion) you need a 10g minimum to breed guppies. Even if you start off with a very small number within a month you could gave 10s if not 100s of fry and a 5g simply isn't big enough to house them.

Thats cool!! I'm new at the breeding thing, so as much help as possible is great. I also have a 1.5 gallon tank at the time, could this be used?

MU-fishies said:
Thats cool!! I'm new at the breeding thing, so as much help as possible is great. I also have a 1.5 gallon tank at the time, could this be used?

You could keep the 1.5g and make it for shrimps. You could add some java moss and a java fern and have a nice little family of 5-6 shrimp. If you get the 5g you could get a betta and a snail or 2-3 male guppies. Much better IMO than trying to fit guppies plus fry. A female guppy can have 1-100+ fry every month! And they can store sperm for a few months so they don't even need a male to have babies sometimes. Very prolific breeders!

You could keep the 1.5g and make it for shrimps. You could add some java moss and a java fern and have a nice little family of 5-6 shrimp. If you get the 5g you could get a betta and a snail or 2-3 male guppies. Much better IMO than trying to fit guppies plus fry. A female guppy can have 1-100+ fry every month! And they can store sperm for a few months so they don't even need a male to have babies sometimes. Very prolific breeders!

Wow, I had no idea females could do that. Hmm.. I'm going to have to look into a 10g tank, the cost thought is the main concern, and the well-being of the fish of course. I had A shrimp until I threw in the Black Skirt tetra. He ate it :( So looking into the 10g, and research on guppies and fry. I'm on it!! Thanks a bunch!! :)

MU-fishies said:
Wow, I had no idea females could do that. Hmm.. I'm going to have to look into a 10g tank, the cost thought is the main concern, and the well-being of the fish of course. I had A shrimp until I threw in the Black Skirt tetra. He ate it :( So looking into the 10g, and research on guppies and fry. I'm on it!! Thanks a bunch!! :)

I have seen 10 g tanks with everything included for 20$ on craigslist. You can find some nice deals! And save the 5 g for fry, and shrimp. I know the fry cant be permanently held there, but a week or 2 is find for a batch of fry IMO.

MU-fishies said:

It's good your doing some research. My very first fish were guppies. I did some research and after a couple of batches of fry, I traded my females. There were just too many of them! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom