New Platy, and Possibly Pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine look preggo most of the time, especially as they get to full size! I think they are kinda built squarish like bulldogs, lol.

But if you have moved all the stuff around and don't see any fry, they were probably eaten.

I can't remember, but how many Platy do you have in there?

My Green Sword always had a darkish spot on her gravid area but there was only one Sword, and she did have babies after I brought her home, but no others as far as I could tell.

Haha yea, I just moved everything around again and still nothing.

I just have the one platy in there, so with all the plants I added I thought for sure I'd be able to save at least a few fry from being eaten. Haha Im not sure it's just a dark spot like you said, I definitely think she was or still is pregnant. The spot is too distinct not to be something.. Could it be a tumor?

Thats the thing. When I first saw her at my lfs, the person there told me that she had been there for a long a time and that she didn't even know how she got there in the first place. She was in one of the tanks that they sell mosquito fish, live plants and danios in, but there were also some other platy. She was huge in comparison to any of the other platy in the store and the lady told me she was most likely pregnant. I understand that they can only have a few fry when young, but according to my lfs she is not very young. But they could be wrong haha. And yup! I just haven't found any males that I want to breed her with yet haha

Just the guts I think, for preggo I believe it would be dark behind the dark spot (you see pretty well in the 3rd pic,) to the vent.

Pretty fish.

how ironic, i was reading through this thread and a light bulb went off...go check on my guppy female....ha! she was in the middle of having her babies...I had to scoop her quickly and place her in the breeder box where she had 20+...here is the link Guppy birthing her fry - YouTube

Just the guts I think, for preggo I believe it would be dark behind the dark spot (you see pretty well in the 3rd pic,) to the vent.

Pretty fish.

Really? Haha I'm not so sure about that. By looking at this picture I got off google images, I would assume the guts were in the large whitish area in front of the dark spot. Not actually the dark spot.

Really? Haha I'm not so sure about that. By looking at this picture I got off google images, I would assume the guts were in the large whitish area in front of the dark spot. Not actually the dark spot.

Sorry forgot the picture

female guppy gravid spot.jpg

Back
Top Bottom