New Platy, and Possibly Pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seriously? Holy crap. Haha I hope it's her first. I'm not ready for that. Can you tell what they're gonna look like as adults right away? Maybe I'll just pick out the ones I like and let mySeverum have at the rest lol

Lol all the fry my platy had looked like tiny orange versions of the mom, but they all looked the same, I think they have to develop a little to tell if they are male/female and what they will specifically look like ( like people, most newborns look the same till they grow a little ) but when she gives birth just leave them be and only the strong will live and choose your keepers from the strong survivors this will keep your tank healthier and your future offspring stronger

No prob BTW I got some neon swords yesterday and having the platys and the swords together side by side leads me to say yours is definatly a platy/sword

Awesome. That's what I figured, but thanks for the confirmation. Speaking of swords, I was looking at swords the other day and saw some really nice red ones on liveaquaria.com labeled "blood red" or something like that, but they were selling them for $60 each! Wtf!? Haha now I kinda want to few invest in a few to breed and sell the fry to the lfs. Think it'd be worth it?

Check with the stores first and make sure they buy fish from people but if they do go for it! I wanna breed koi swords

Both my LFS' said they'd take them, but only one of them would pay for them so that's where I'd go first. Haha and nice! That would be pretty cool too.

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and I found your thread very interesting definitely curios about your baby fry. Just over a month ago one of my fish (which I thought was my red platy but my babies are white with black spots like my Molly) gave birth I was able to save 2 out of probably 10 of the fry and just released them into the main tank today. I have one of my female platies isolated right now as she is in labour I saw her drop one fry outside of the breeding tank so I'm hoping she'll drop the rest very soon so I can let her go before she gets to stressed out. Any tips?

indeed sadly only a few strong ones will survive, adding lots of live plants to provide the fry shelter will greatly increase your survivers

indeed sadly only a few strong ones will survive, adding lots of live plants to provide the fry shelter will greatly increase your survivers

Yeah, the babies are in a breeding box right now had momma platy in there for about 12 hours and figured I'd let her go back into the main tank if she has any in there and they survive great. I looked very closely and actually 9 out of the 10 are moving around. But obviously they could die between now and adult hood wouldn't mind a few living though.

Great, just remember feed the babies a few very small meals a day to help them grow and be mindful of your ammonia and nitrite as the fry are very very sensitive

Is it normal for them to sit at the bottom?

I only ever isolated fry that were few weeks old and they seemed a lot more energetic lol

Edit - dont know why two of the same photos uploaded

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130904_103145.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130904_103145.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 46
  • ForumRunner_20130904_103223.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130904_103223.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 43
you said hey were born last night? im sure they are still getting acclimated to life : ) not to mention now is the time the strong will start to thrive and the weak will start to "fall off" so just watch them seems like everything is going as i should for you

Back
Top Bottom