New to forum here but have a question. I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryldooley

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been keeping mollies of all kinds and noticed this twice and am wondering I anyone can tell why this is happening to my female Molly's . When they are severely pregnant and should be dropping fry they drop maybe ten then stop and sit at the bottom or hide in plants then are dead by morning.. Is this normal? It's happened to me twice now and just curious as to why? Was the labour to hard for her? Was she unable to deliver because of a complication I can't see? I don't want to loose any more mollies to this. Can anyone help?

That's downright odd. What sort of mollies are they (although it shouldn't matter) and is it the first time for them dropping fry or older fish as well?

First happened with my Dalmatian Molly and it was the first drop that it happened. The second time (now) is with orange sailfin mollies and it's we second drop. What's odd to me is she dropped a few the other day and is now just siting in the plants and I can see there's still fry in her right now... :(

I went to do a water change and saw her slowly dropping fry in the corner so I stopped and topped it up ( was almost done tank anyway) I'm thinking maybe I stressed her too soon and that caused this weird issue??

Well in other animals the first offspring can be hardest (young, first time, etc) but I mean nature still rolls on. I could see a water change causing stress. Other stuff could be - is there any other fish that might cause stress? Are ph, temp, ammonia, etc fine for water specs, could they be overweight? New tank? Fish are otherwise good?

Do the fry survive? Just wondering if they are dropping early for some reason.

Well in other animals the first offspring can be hardest (young, first time, etc) but I mean nature still rolls on. I could see a water change causing stress. Other stuff could be - is there any other fish that might cause stress? Are ph, temp, ammonia, etc fine for water specs, could they be overweight? New tank? Fish are otherwise good?

Do the fry survive? Just wondering if they are dropping early for some reason.

All levels are good tested quite regular liquid test not strips. I think it was stress which made her drop too early cuz most didn't make it. The male was quite insistent on her so could be that too.... Tanks well established 9 months old I believe or more actually.. Not over weight.

I'm wondering will she hold those last couple fry in her ill she's actually ready (which should be another 5 days) and be able to birth again? She's swimming around a bit more now, do you know? And with last fish about half the drop made it so I think she delivered to early and saw some eggs come out as well.. She may have just been to young. Is there Nything I can for her to calm her down and get her back to normal? She's not eating but she swimming around a bit more and not hiding so much as she was last two days... I can still see the fry in her belly I want them to live

I'm not sure as the only one I have lost like that was to pimafix. I think a separate tank or those internal tanks for fry (with plants) could help if she is not too close as she wouldn't be stressed or chased and would be separate.

the only thing I can think of is if she's dropping fry than is dead next day is most likely to stress from other fish in tank chasing her to get at the fry

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure t was just stress. The last one that wa doing it has kept going... Some fry still inside but time will tell on her.

Back
Top Bottom